Connecting a Zoom H4N to a camcorder (Canon XA10)

Hi guys perhaps some of you know my endless search for the best compromise for my equipment for my documentary.

Well i finally bought a Canon XA10 and a Zoom H4N as I think they will suit my needs in the best way (for what they cost).

Now the problem, as per title, how do I connect the Zoom to the Canon?(I want to use it as a mic basically) I thought about an XRL wire but nope :P

Some just suggest to record the audio using the Zoom and then simply mute the one from the Canon and add the one recorded with the Zoom in post prod, which could be done but is there an easier way?

I was looking for wires today but most of them seems to be for DSLRs cameras, specifically "Line to Microphone Attenuation Cable for HDSLR Cameras", could i use such wire for my camcorder as well? If not could a kind soul clarify what wire I need?

Thanks in advance :)

I have the H4N and my understanding is that it's only output is the headphone jack. Whoever told you that you could use it as a mic on your camera was misleading you. Dual system sound is the only way to fly with it.

Two things:

1. In most instances, it's not a good idea to use the on-board mic on the H4n. This audio recorder is best utilized by attaching a better mic to it, usually either a boom or a lav.

2. Syncing audio in post is actually really easy. You're trying to avoid something that you think is difficult, but it's totally normal, everyone does it, and it's not difficult.

The H4n is not designed as a mic, it's an audio recorder. Your camcorder is not designed as an audio recorder, it's a video recorder. So, you want to use your audio recorder as a microphone, and your video recorder as an audio recorder? I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but that's a really bad idea. Get a mic. Even a cheap one is a better idea than your current plan.

Look at reviews for mics made by AudioTechnica. You can get something for about 50 bucks that is not even slightly close to professional quality, but which is far better than your current plan.

Some just suggest to record the audio using the Zoom and then simply mute the one from the Canon and add the one recorded with the Zoom in post prod, which could be done but is there an easier way?
That is the easy way.

Get yourself a nice microphone and use a boom pole to get the mic
away from the camera and record audio to the H4N. From your post
it seem you want to use the H4N as a microphone. If all you want to
do is record audio to your camera you don't need the audio recorder
at all. Get yourself a nice microphone and use a boom pole to get the
mic away from the camera and record audio to the Canon.

If you are doing this doc all alone your compromise may be using a
shotgun mic attached to your camera and not using the audio recorder
at all.

Thank you all for your replies guys :)

I was not mislead when I bought the Zoom, I need it for other works as well so I preferred it over a mic (since the budget is tight I preferred sticking with the zoom that offers a decent audio quality rather than buying a good mic as it couldn't record).

I just thought (wrongly ehe) that I could use the Zoom as a recorder AND mic. It is not a big deal that I cant also because I am going to make an extensive user of voice over (as it is a 1 person project) so removing the original audio and adding the one from the Zoom was in the plan. I just wanted have the matter clarified by someone in the field :)

@Cracker Funk: I think we have similar views on how a movie should be made I liked your thread where you talk about your movie "Antihero", I will keep an eye on it :)

Back