• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Concept in need of critique

Hey everybody- I just wanted some opinions on a story I am working on, being that I am used to writing adaptations or straight out comedy, I've been planning a short film with a twisted sort of moral.. I'll give you the premise and you tell me what you think.

It starts out at the Pearly Gates of heaven. St. Paul and God talk to a person who has commited suicide but claims it was an accident while he was method-acting a scene from a hanging. So god decides to send him back to the worldy world in the form of someone's conscience, where he will sit in a room with a TV, a microphone and a beer fridge and be able to send his advice via the mic to translate into subtle feelings in his host soul.

The scenes interchange between the host soul and the "conscience". The breakdown is this:

In the scenes, two characters sit at a coffee-shop table (I know, I know, not ANOTHER coffee shop movie, but I just saw Coffee and Cigarrettes and it was the fine inspiration for a locale for philisophical debate and I decided it would be a fitting enviroment.). The two characters start with small talk and eventually end up discussing the difference between free will and being "other directed", wondering where instinct and urges unexplainable come from.

In the "Host's soul" the conscience begins to explore the cluttered room, opening packed boxes (emotional baggage as explained in a promotional video from heavan), and finding out some things about the character. As the scenes in the coffee shop progress, he keeps opening boxes and finds out more about his host. The deal is that if he can do some good and clean up a little, he will be re-considered for heaven, so he begins trying to help the character deal with his problems.

You find out throughout that the main character (Mark {temp name}, in the coffee shop) has had a troubled life. His father and mother were equally abusive due to finances and general arguments, his father picked up herion, his mother divorced and took her child to a new place only to die of pnuemonia years later. Then his father threatens his son one night while doped up for some of the insurance money and they end up fighting and Mark accidentally kills his own father. Delaing with the guilt he has become suicidal, and begins to relapse while in the bathroom taking a dump.

The conscience, using his own basis of sucide, talks the host (Mark) out of killing himself.

In between all of this there is a sub-plot with a waitress who reminds Mark of an ex-girlfriend who saved his life on one suicide attempt, only to dump him two days later for "fear of finding him dead one day". And another interraction between Mark and his best friend Dave (who he is enjoying a nice cup of coffee with and catching up).

In the end, Mark is shot randomly in a coffee-shop stick up by a crazy doped up homeless guy (symbolic of his father, and will be visually related so... ack, have to go to work, running out of time to explain). The pointless death is to show how anyone, anywhere can die at anytime in this cruel world.

I'll post more later... need help on the end, have to go to work!!!

Bye!!

-Logan-

I know it all sounds heavy

I like the idea, but I think it should stop at the conversational point and with the conscience guy going through the baggage. It could be both funny and serious when you go back and forth and with what he finds in the boxes from the "host's" childhood, etc. The main problem for me is, with the father addicted to heroin (which would be a difficult drug to just get into) and the mother leaving and dying, then the suicidal thing with the girlfriend, and the homeless killing thing. I just find that it seems like it's dark for the sake of being dark.

i know it all sounds dark for just being dark, but there's a glimmer of hope at the end. One of the "morals" in the script is going to be that life is both a comedy and a tragedy. Earth is a combination of the two, heaven is the comedy (for eternal happiness is knowing that it's ok to laugh at things which are upsetting) and hell is the tragedy (because they take thier sorrow too seriously and become absorbed in it)

I'll finish it now (on break from work, so i must be breif and there will be spelling errors..)

The father is an alcoholic first, and weens his way on to herion gradually, but his son finds out in the flashback. The mother suspected or knew, but only acted on it with a divorce when her son found out, for fear that the addiction would start affecting him. When Mark's mommy dies, daddy comes back to collect the life insurance that he believes is his.
Near the end, Mark will encounter a homless dude and see his father's face in his. Then the homeless guy will rob the coffee-shop and as a newly optomistic Mark re-enters, he is stabbed in passing.
Obviously it will be hard to mix the humor and the dark sick views in to each other, but the point is to be able to walk away thinking that even though we live in a dark world, there is redemption in the end, and it is happiness and bliss. Hell is really a metaphor for being consumed with hate, and Mark leanrs through interaction with his conscience that it is better to laugh at the sorrow than hate it. So in essence, it is really a tragedy but presented in a comical manner (and the conscience is a humorous role) to deal with a strong issue.

The end consists of the two souls (the conscience and the host) going to heaven, where they meet for the first time, and go in front of St. Peter. There, they are basically given a choice. Only one can go to heaven, because that's the rule (in relation to two souls in thier predicament). Both have been absolved of thier sins, and it's up to them to choose. Then the conscience, who believes he has found his calling helping others through his misfortune volunteers to go back and do some more good. Ta da.

i dunno....the beginning kind of reminds me of a mixture of carousel and all dogs go to heaven.

a bit weird there...

as i read more i like what it developed into...maybe some reworking of the beginning would help it

:)-Caity

lol- havent seen carousel, but I just remembered All dogs go to heaven, lol.... totally forgot about that one.

Well, the beginning will be very perceptively different. It really can't be synopsized very well... it's a new venture for me though- usually my writing is straight comedy, but I haven't written anything in a long time, and I'm trying to get back into the game with some substance and morals this time.

Thanks for your comments though, it's always useful to get feedback to make sure you dont go down a trodden path without a twist.

-Logan

The father is an alcoholic first, and weens his way on to herion gradually
Interesting choice of verb there.

Will be fun to see you tackle the two POV's with two protagonists, one inside the other. Some challenges there I think. Herman's Head meets All Dog's Go To Heaven. :hmm:

Poor kid, bad parents, predictable outcome. Plot flaw: #1. Indigents who have enough money to buy a gun do NOT buy a gun. #2. I don't think God would provide a fridge full of beer. Pizza delivery maybe, but not beer. Who wants a dunk conscience? <-- there's your comedy ;)

How about looking at it from a different perspective. Father is a greedy politian/lawyer/CEO, filthy, rich and rolling in a multitude of sins. Mom divorces said bastard for the morality sake of her son. Turn the cafe robber into a masked snotty, rich, kid who's out just for the joke of it and accidentally shoots your cafe patron. Something the audience won't see coming. I'm all for unhappy endings but cliche roles and predictable outcomes will lend more toward this dark for darkness sake pitfall.

Give me something new, give me fresh, give me someone who's got problems that DON'T stem from abusive parents. Filming in the cafe doesn't bother me nearly as much as abusive parent = troubled youth.

Honestly, I'd like to see the list of morals you plan on touching on with this film. Finding a common thread with those would go a long way to making a believable story/movie.

Not sure if you're still taking crits on this so I won't linger on it, if you want more I'd be happy to help.

No- thanks for the crits! I've been mulling over the plot fo this for a few days. I was always a bit shaky on the "abusive past" thing, but it needs to be there to aid the story... I think it's presented out of context here... The father does need to be a herion addict though. I'll put a little more detail, I changed a few things...
Basically, the historical outline behind "Mark" (temp name... he'll eventually be renamed when I get some research done on "sacrificial lambs"... who was the man who God asked to sacrifice his son, btu then doesn't have to in the Bible?) is this: (all explained briefly in flashback sequences)
-The father and mother have thier baby as part of a genetic nuclear experiment.
-That was a joke. Here's the real outline.
-Mark's father is a heavy drinker. Not much of a troublemaker, but he gets drunk quite a lot.
-Father catches Mark (11yrs old) drinking alcohol, hits him, starts pouring alcohol on him, asking him "So, you want to drink? Then drink" while mommy watches, horrified.
-Father and Mother quabble over the fact that bills arn't paid (explained visually, without dialogue)
-Father get's a "new friend" in herion.
-Mark (13yrs) finds a needle on the ground and his father passed out. His mother comes home at that moment, and decides she's had enough, and she leave the father.
-5 years later, Mark is 17. His mother, who is working two jobs, catches pnemonia and dies slowly.
-Mark becomes suicidal and hates himself for not saving his mother. He cuts his wrists one night, but wakes up to find out they have clotted (leaving scars) and he is alive.
-He meets "Luci" who helps him deal with his depression.
-Here's the kicker (IMHO):
One night, that father (doped up) comes to Mark's place (breaking restraining order) and demands his share of the "insurance money". Mark and him argue in the rain about how they divorced 5 years ago, and he not only has no right to the claim, but in fact, there is no claim because finances were so bad Mark's mother had stopped paying the bills. The father refuses to accept this and attacks Mark. Mark defends himself and in doing so, throws his father down the stairs. The father dies.
-Mark, who is so shaken, attempts to kill himself again.
-Luci, who was on her way over, finds him, and he is taken to the hospital.
-When he awakens, Luci is there, but long story short, she dumps him because she can't "Deal" with a suicidal person, because it's too much emotional stress on her behalf.

Ok. That's his backstory. It'll be around 10 minutes of footage. A lot of it is flashbacks, but the father's death-hospital scene is a different transistion. Essentially, these memories come back when the "Conscience" opens boxes that contain "memories". I'm going to throw in a few funny memories as well, but right now I'm still working on plot structure before I throw in da jokez.

Ok- then there's the coffee shop. I wont blog this up with another outline, but basically, there are messages littered throughout here. I'll list those.

- Through a conversation with the waitress, Mark realizes that running from problems is not a good way to solve things. (yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before, but there's a twist on the presentation)
-Through a conversation with his friend, he Mark learns the value of not taking life to seriously. (the conscience speaks through his friend)
- The idea for heaven and hell, is that Heaven is a place where everyone has a good time, because they "GET" the joke. Hell is where people are so absorbed with the point, they loose the enjoyment. So God is portrayed as a care-free party animal. He's too busy getting spongebaths to watch the universe, but he has other's do it for him. The beer fridge is representative of the intoxicating bliss that is heaven, and yes, as the conscience gets progressively drunker and drunker (ok, more drunk), he becomes more and more wiser. Not promoting alcohol, but giving the idea that when you relax and enjoy life, you see much, much clearer.
-In the end, Mark will be STABBED by the homeless guy (got lazy before and confused). Both him and his conscience go up to the pearly gates. There, St. Peter says only one person can go up, and one goes back to be a conscience, but since they both ended up redeeming themselves they get to decide amungst themselves. The conscience steps up and offers. He finds his calling helping others using his own mistakes as a basis. For him, the moral is that there is a place and purpose for everyone, it just may take a few mistakes to find it.

There's other stuff, but I've got to work again, and I'm confused because I haven't had much sleep lately and the spiderwebs are all over my skin. My live-in-girlfriend is doing the dishes and asking if she does enough work around the house. I'm so confused... is this reality? I got to help around the house before work so I have to go.

Alright, I'll update again. Thanks for any critics out there helping me with this!! I want to have a polished script for next year, and based on the success of our current feature "Macbeth 3000", hopefully I can get a Canon XL2 and shoot this idea next year. I wish I could stretch this into a feature, but I think it's supposed to be however it is going to be...

Anyway... I probably left out a lot... eck. I'll fix/explain later.

-Logan-

The first thing that popped into my brain was...

HERMAN'S HEAD

Where the different aspects of the guy's personality resided in his head and debated about how to handle different situations. They've done some of that on the Ozzy and Drix cartoon too.

However, if you're CONSCIENCE was a very defined, quirky personality played by a good character actor (especially someone who improv a little), it would really set the scenes in contrast as he tries to direct this person.

Might even be humorous to not totally isolate the CONSCIENCE but have other personality aspects pop in or get in the way...

Just some thoughts... take what you want or throw it all in the trash.

JC

I'll have to check out Herman's Head... never even heard of it!

Actually, my girlfriend and I sat down and did some workshopping for the ending... and the whole thing is basically restructured.. it's too difficult to explain now, lol. But basically, it'll probably be different enough to be great. I was never happy with the ending before... it was something I had been tossing around with a co-worker and settled for. Anyway- the suggestions here really helped shape it up, it's sorting itself out on its own, which is a good sign for me... scripts that write themselves are meant to be made.
Essentially, there are three "essences" to this script.
1) The story of a son who is dragged down with his family and unable to pull himself out of his downward spiral.
2) Repressing memories, and not dealing with your problems leads to more problems down the road
3) If you learn from your mistakes and understand, you will find peace.

That's the bare-bones messages at the heart of this. I actually don't want to reveal any more info, cause it's still not written, but trust me.. it's shaping up nice. (I hope)
I'm hoping to get some funding and equipment to film this for next summer... anyone who wants to know more, feel free to email me.. this board is not safe... they're watching... they're always watching.....

(not the moderators... the hamsters...)

LOL @ the hamsters

If you learn from your mistakes and understand, you will find peace.
I was racking my brain for a 'who did this already' and I can't think of one. Maybe because I'm so drained this week but for some reason it jumped out at me that if the story emphasized the 'and understand' bit, it would be rather unique and interesting (at least for me). Sounds like you've got creative muse working with you on this. Dance with her for all she's worth! ;)

E-mail sent. :D

Back