computer suggestions?

ello,
We bought a new dell pc in summer 2005. since then ive grown and am much smarter on them, and have had many upgrades due to mostly moviemaking.

We've bought a 1tb ext. harddrive
firewire port
dvd burner
etc.

Ive been able to kind of edit hd on sony vegas, but often freezes or take a while. cannot play hd on a large view, and now i realize im lucky im able to do hd at all. its worked surprisingly beeter than expected.
My mom is now talking about buying a new one. Is 4 years a good time to upgrade?
So now Im lookin online and see recc. for power. I know I def. want lots of RAM, and it's nice that we already have an external hd. But, im not sure if i should suggest buying through a store, a manufacturer, or custom.
I know a lot about computers than before, but im not sure how to go about building one on my own, or if i even could. Im looking for models, etc, but not finding too much help.
Any sugg. for what i should be looking to do now as far as looking to buy?

I think I would want a pc considering i could get cheaper prices.
Im guessing our budget is app. 1000, give or take. (prob. have to sqeeze more, though)

sugg. on where to go from here appreciated!

p.s. I have a hv30 and do hd editing, etc.

My current editing computer is a $450 off-the-shelf unit from Best Buy.

Gateway DX4300-05

(I did not get the $150 optional upgrade that included a new monitor & printer)

The speakers that come with it are lame, so I use the set I had before.

There are other PCs that could blow it out of the water, but it performs well enough running Adobe CS4 - and that's all I care about.

I've no idea how well it handles graphic intensive games like Crysis, but then again that's not why I bought it.

Regardless, it's running my editing software flawlessly (and fast) right out of the box.

This definitely fits into your budget. Dunno how it compares to what you have now, but I bet it's a good value.

I just bought a new editing pc based on an Intel Core i7 920 and a Asus P6T motherboard with 6GB of RAM and 2,5TB HDD space. For graphics I jused a Gforce GT 9600 chip. I payed about 860€ for it, which would be around 1200$.
You can save some $$$ on the motherboard and use less drive space, but I'd suggest to get a Core i7 or Core i5 for sure. They are the fastest processors on the market right now and offer really good performance.

Right now, I'm going to start using a laptop computer that I bought from Best Buy. It's not very powerful, but it edits 1280x720p video decently. Its processor is an Intel® Pentium® dual-core, which has a speed of 2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB speed, and 1MB L2 Cache. Best processor any of my computers have ever had (yeah, I know I'm a bit outdated).

It also has 4GBs of RAM, which is really awesome. The only thing this laptop lacks is a firewire port, but that's okay because I'm going to start using an AVCHD camcorder with USB to transfer footage. Sure it'll be slowish, but it will get the job done for me.

Good luck on finding the right system for you!

can anybody answer this quick question?

im looking into editing hd footage too for films. i have a computer with a 3200 AMD SEMPRON PROCESSOR 512 MB MEMORY AND 160 GB HARD DRIVE

Is this good to edit HD footage? i mean , it wouldnt event let me use MAGIC BULLETS plugin tho?

can anybody answer this quick question?

im looking into editing hd footage too for films. i have a computer with a 3200 AMD SEMPRON PROCESSOR 512 MB MEMORY AND 160 GB HARD DRIVE

Is this good to edit HD footage? i mean , it wouldnt event let me use MAGIC BULLETS plugin tho?

Nope, by today's standards, that would not nearly fast enough. You would need a Intel Core 2 Duo/Core i5/i7 with 4GB of ram and a 1TB harddrive. Also you need a decent graphics card to handle HD video. HD footage comes in big file sizes, you a lot of storage if your shooting a feature film.

My current editing computer is a $450 off-the-shelf unit from Best Buy.

Gateway DX4300-05

(I did not get the $150 optional upgrade that included a new monitor & printer)

The speakers that come with it are lame, so I use the set I had before.

There are other PCs that could blow it out of the water, but it performs well enough running Adobe CS4 - and that's all I care about.

I've no idea how well it handles graphic intensive games like Crysis, but then again that's not why I bought it.

Regardless, it's running my editing software flawlessly (and fast) right out of the box.

This definitely fits into your budget. Dunno how it compares to what you have now, but I bet it's a good value.

ima look into that computer too! thanks for info.

Back