Completed Low Budget Feature Script: Benito the Blade

Hi everyone.

I arrived in Colombia five days before the lockdown started -- a strict 6-month stay-at-home lockdown -- so I spent the time writing a feature set in that part of the world. (I'm new at indietalk, so here's me in a nutshell: award-winning novelist and long-time screenwriter presently with 4 finished scripts.)

"Benito the Blade" is a 102-page swashbuckler set in 1750 Cartagena, a lovely distinctive town on the north coast of South America. It's a buddy adventure story. At it's core, it is a tale of two men who meet, become good friends, have a huge falling out, then become friends again. It has action, adventure, villainy, drama, swordplay, murder, poignancy, plus small dashes of humor, and I suspect it can be made on a pretty low budget.

I'd love to see it produced, of course, but don't know any filmmakers. If anyone is interested in reading "Benito the Blade," I could post it on Script Revolution. Or if you know a better place to post it, kindly let me know.

Thanks.

Hi everyone.

I arrived in Colombia five days before the lockdown started -- a strict 6-month stay-at-home lockdown -- so I spent the time writing a feature set in that part of the world. (I'm new at indietalk, so here's me in a nutshell: award-winning novelist and long-time screenwriter presently with 4 finished scripts.)

"Benito the Blade" is a 102-page swashbuckler set in 1750 Cartagena, a lovely distinctive town on the north coast of South America. It's a buddy adventure story. At it's core, it is a tale of two men who meet, become good friends, have a huge falling out, then become friends again. It has action, adventure, villainy, drama, swordplay, murder, poignancy, plus small dashes of humor, and I suspect it can be made on a pretty low budget.

I'd love to see it produced, of course, but don't know any filmmakers. If anyone is interested in reading "Benito the Blade," I could post it on Script Revolution. Or if you know a better place to post it, kindly let me know.

Thanks.

Well there are filmmakers on here who've raised money for features. I've just raised financing for my first one although not in your genre. So DM me if that's the direction if you want to have a chat about it.

Well there are filmmakers on here who've raised money for features. I've just raised financing for my first one although not in your genre.

Best wishes to you on your new project!!! You, soon: :director: Us, later::pop:

Thank you for your comment. I'm a writer, not a filmmaker, so I'm seeking filmmakers, not funding. Writing fiction is my passion and there are so many interesting tales to tell. I don't think I have a genre. My print fiction was mystery and suspense but recently I've come to enjoy the challenge of writing comedy. My script genres include:
  • an atypical western adventure with a Native American protagonist
  • an awesome mafioso caper-ish drama -- a very timely tale and therefore the one I should be promoting. (It's presently under consideration.)
  • a sexy romantic comedy
  • the swashbuckler mentioned at the top of this thread
  • a whacky buddy comedy (that needs act II work), and
  • a classic blues musical period piece (that's nearly done).
All are feature-length spec scripts. I realize Hollywood scowls on writing in multiple genres and yet the wonderful Billy Wilder wrote both great dramas and delightful comedies. My goal is to write interesting protagonists and unique plots that provide continuous story progression and an emotional rollercoaster experience for an audience. Seems to me no matter what ya do, someone will criticize, so I may as well write whatever I want and embrace the madness, lol.

Hollywood does not scowl at good writing in multiple genres.
Hollywood has changed since the era of Billy Wilder. Can you use
someone in the 21st Century as an example?
You are correct; no matter what ya do, someone will criticize so you
should write what interests you.
This does not sound low budget to me.

The Western sounds interesting and a good Buddy Comedy might attract
bankable talent.

Your one script is under consideration so you already have at least one
connection.

Back