Columbia College

Any opinions on it? I plan on transferring there next year with a couple of friends and was hoping for some input from some people who are either going there or have already graduated. I went to the open house a couple of weekends ago and was pretty impressed with the film department. However, I'm not closed to the possibility that (being eighteen) I don't know all of the standards for judgement.

=] Thanks!

Columbia University in New York right? Great university, great rep, and I hear their film department is pretty good. My biggest advice I can give you is, don't worry so much about the "education" your going to get in film school, but more of the "contacts". Thus, I reccommend applying to USC and NYU also. if you get into USC for example, go there. Best contacts you will ever get. I hear their grad school is more prestigious though, and they wont accept anyone if they decide to do undergrad film school and apply for their grad later. Long story short, this is industry is more of "who you know" than what you know, what you know is very important too, but if you expect to get work , you need to go somewhere that provides good contacts. Im not very educated on Columbia, I hear good things, but def. check their alumnis and check to see if they are good at contacts.

I went to Columbia and graduated in 2001. Good school if you're willing to commit. The problem when I was there was that it was open enrollment (not sure if it still is) so a lot of people got in but never went to class. This may have changed. If you actually do the work it's a good school. All the instructors are very knowledgeable.

And what's wrong with shooting 16mm your first year? Many schools won't even let you touch a camera until your second. Also, a lot of schools don't even teach film anymore, and elect the DV route. I loved working with film.

Film is where it's at . Take a look at the huge gain in sales that 35mm adapters are making . Everyone is scrambling to give their digital films "the film look and feel " . You're smart to ask around before jumping into a decision that will affect the rest of your life . I have also heard only positive things about Columbia .

I went to Columbia and graduated in 2001. Good school if you're willing to commit. The problem when I was there was that it was open enrollment (not sure if it still is) so a lot of people got in but never went to class. This may have changed. If you actually do the work it's a good school. All the instructors are very knowledgeable.

And what's wrong with shooting 16mm your first year? Many schools won't even let you touch a camera until your second. Also, a lot of schools don't even teach film anymore, and elect the DV route. I loved working with film.

I would think it'd be tremendously useful to be able to shoot anything at all your first year, let alone 16mm.

Back