• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

colorfull wardrobe considerations

Hey all,
I took some shots over the weekend that required extra grading because of poor wardrobe choice. My intent was to have my actress in a colorful outfit, but it ended up GLOWING on tape and had to be severally beaten down!

I still want bright colors, but maybe I need some tips on making good wardrobe color choices that work. Are there any "101" rules that everyone but me knows?

Thanks

I know with white clothes it's often a good idea to 'tech-down' the colour. Soak them in a bucket of cold tea then rinse off and dry - they'll still look white in-camera, but won't end up over-exposed and glowing under bright lights. Whether you can apply this same principle to other bright colours I don't know, but it's worth a try.

When shooting DV, it's best to avoid bright reds all the time.. because they tend to bleed and just generally look awful.

The best thing you can do is plan your color palette, and dress your cast accordingly. Using colors that are complimentary to your main color palette will bring the look of the film together much better, and much more easily.

(Did you watch that red giant tv episode I linked in the other thread? Stu talks about this kind of stuff a little bit)

I know with white clothes it's often a good idea to 'tech-down' the colour. Soak them in a bucket of cold tea then rinse off and dry - they'll still look white in-camera, but won't end up over-exposed and glowing under bright lights. Whether you can apply this same principle to other bright colours I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Nice tip, but my wife would KILL me! :P

FYI: Having a traditional American lifestyle has some real advantages!

Back