• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color Symbolism in Screenplay

I am currently writing a short film that employs a heavy plot twist in a very Sixth Sense/Shutter Island type way. Part of my script is using color symbolism, particularly the colors red and white. I have noticed before in film and literature that color symbolism often serves a purpose, and I particularly like it. My question is, can we include it in our screenplays? For instance, can I say that Julia is wearing a red dress without that detail being deemed unnecessary? Do screenwriters usually employ this type of symbolism in their work, or is it added by the filmmaker later?

I ask this because I do not intend to direct this film. I intend to use this script as a "jumping-off" into my foray in script competitions.

I used the color amber whenever it involved my lead female alien character (i.e., control buttons, transporter beams, emergency lights, etc.) as I wanted everything related to her to be "pure" and non-threatening.

On the other hand, the bad guy aliens were always associated with green lasers, tractor beams and scanning fields as I felt the green color was more threatening and ominous.

...and as the countess follow-up post will probably state "It doesn't matter. The Director will come along and change it all to his favorite colors".

-Birdman

I used the color amber whenever it involved my lead female alien character (i.e., control buttons, transporter beams, emergency lights, etc.) as I wanted everything related to her to be "pure" and non-threatening.

On the other hand, the bad guy aliens were always associated with green lasers, tractor beams and scanning fields as I felt the green color was more threatening and ominous.

...and as the countess follow-up post will probably state "It doesn't matter. The Director will come along and change it all to his favorite colors".

-Birdman

I love that idea for the villains. Interesting take on the color green, as it usually means other things. But I agree. Green is also the color of lasers for the Empire in the Original Star Wars trilogy, and they do seem very threatening and very fitting for the villains.

I'm going for colors in clothing in particular. With white meaning purity, black meaning corrupt and mysterious, red meaning death and evil, and gray meaning authoritative and disciplined. These are the colors that these two women in a man's life often switch between as they are never quite who they make out to be.

Dressing a character in a particular colour is quite heavy-handed symbolism though, isn't it? I reckon it is likely to be more a directorial decision than a screenwriting one (unless it's actually crucial to the story, rather than just subtext). But as with a lot of these small details, their inclusion or otherwise really won't matter as long as you have good characters in a strong, well-structured story

Back