• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Color Correction of overexposed footage

If the highlights are blown out, you're not going to be able to recover the data, because it will have been clipped. If it's on the edge, but not clipped, yeah you can reduce the brightness/etc and pull back some detail. More often than not though, with video, when you overexpose you're losing data.

Take a look at Shane Hurlbut's blog test C500 vs Film which shows how different highlights behave in digital vs film.

Also if you have photoshop and have a DSLR snap a RAW photo of lets say a light bulb or clouds w.e something that can clip and take another photo but this time expose for highlights,so no info is clipped. Input into photoshop and you will see 2 indicators - for under and over exposure. Play around to see how much info can you get from a non clipped photo and take a look how highlights are completely lost on the clipped photo.

Digital is better to be underexposed while film handles overexposure so well that it is almost a must in order to get cleaner negative.

EDIT: Obv,in case when you don't have raw/log video recording,digital behaves even worse in terms of highlights,1 1/2 stops over can ruin a picture,so you need to be super careful as post capabilities are very limited

baoliun thank you for your input. I'll take a loot at it!

sfoster, at this point and now that i know i can't recover any detail, i just want to reduce all that pure white from exposure. Is that possible to achieve in premiere?

Thank you.

Last edited:
But reducing it to another color, it will change the all picture or just that part?

I'm not sure how much you could save from this footage. But there are methods to only change the color of the highlights. You can then tune it to only correct clipped areas. There are hundreds of tutorials on how to do these sorts of things on youtube - most of them are done by 12 year old foreign kids, but hey, free is free.

I recommend looking into Lynda.com and looking at some of the tutorials over there. It will cost you some money, but it is worth it.

I wouldn't fret over it. I see this a lot in docu style footage. More than you might imagine, you'll start noticing it too!

If you had exposed to the background, you would have needed fill light to get your subject exposed, something that normally you can not do in a run and gun interview.

In more controlled situation I would do just that, expose for the brightest background and bring in fill light to bring the subject up to proper exposure.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

wheatgrinder, yes that would be a great idea. Besides the lack of material and crew, i also had (not only this case but almost all of them) very short time to do this work.

Thanks!

Back