http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=17677

The only problem is now thousands more filmmakers
who don't have much will turn out crap, thinking if
he can do it, they can do it.

We all remember "Blair Witch" Very few people ever
saw the hundreds of similar movies that were churned
out hoping to cash in on the same technique. I saw
at least 15, worked on 4 and was asked by 7 different
producers/distributors to write and or direct one.

Even before this movie hit Cannes a filmmaker like
you could make a movie.

When do you start shooting yours?

We all remember "Blair Witch" Very few people ever saw the hundreds of similar movies that were churned out hoping to cash in on the same technique.
I have to keep pointing this out every time someone refers to Blair Witch; the distributor spent about $1,000,000 - that's right, one million dollars - on audio post production to make the film palatable for the movie-going public. Almost every line of dialog in the film was looped, some terrific Foley and sound FX work was done, and a new score written.

Which is exactly what's going to happen with "Colin".

Columbia spend appx. $6,000,000 on the post and
advertising and distribution of the $7,000 "El mariachi"

If a movie maker like doomedvideos finds inspiration he
didn't have in a movie like "Colin" that's a good thing. But
as you point out, there is MUCH more to it than good ideas
and determination.

I like this success story as it makes everything seem that bit more real that you can make a film and it be a hit.

I know that it takes more than just good ideas, but when Tarantino made my best friends birthday he showed great tallent even back then in BW, the audio for that film had to be re synched as there was a major FcUK up.

At this time I am still learning, and find it all great fun, if anything gets successful then thats cool, I just don't want to loose any interest.

I like to look at things like this-

Yes, the independent film market is completely over saturated with crap no/low budget films that should never see the light of day, making it very very tough for the filmmakers who have a real passion for the craft to get their work seen.

This of course has happened because of the proliferation of great HDV camcorders, editing software like FCP and Soundtrack pro(to name a few) and the few inspiration films that have made it big (Blair Witch, El Mariachi, Colin?...)

BUT, would you go back to the days (what 10-15 years ago) when the independent film market was hungry for new films, AND trade in all the amazing tools we have today?

I for one certainly wouldn't go back to trying to shoot on Super 16, editing with a moviola and flat bed setup, syncing up rushes, and waiting for days to get your film back from the lab (after spending $$$$)

I'm thrilled to be making films in this new era of digital high definition filmmaking. And I still believe the cream rises to the top! Just don't give up!!!

As far as Colin is concerned, yes I find it inspirational! (haven't seen it yet though) Another piece of proof that it CAN BE DONE!!

Win

Back