collaborating - my strength, my weaknesses

The thing is: I write good stories, have been writing five drafts and I do know I can come up with good plots and dialogues but I don't feel it when I have to describe actions. I've had screenwriting lessons at drama school and most of the time I got 95 percent for having created a good story, original idea but even after a couple of years I never felt I had the real talent for fully developping a script.

That's why I reckon collaborating wouldn't be a bad idea. People complementing me, being good at what I'm not good at ( and the other way around)
The question is: where can you find those people online? ( this might be a good start)

Yea I haven't seen many successful attempts at collaboration come from the forum (aside from that absurdly large indietalk feature length thread that seems to be post-production now?).

Although for quite some time I've been considering extending my hand out to find a co-writer for a project.

Good luck Stef, hope you find a complimenting writer to your style, but it would most likely be easier to learn how to write actions.

Yea I haven't seen many successful attempts at collaboration come from the forum (aside from that absurdly large indietalk feature length thread that seems to be post-production now?).

LOL, that thread is indeed feature length :P
(I'm part of it :) )

AFAIK: Some of the London / UK ITers work together as well.

Thank you I think collaborating might be a big word but I need someone to read my stuff once a while and critique it in a helpful way, giving me tools on how to improve it.

I found out that if you try to copy celtx files to this forum ( or to word documents) that you don't copy the style. It just gets very messy.

I've collaborated with several members on here. It's not a bad place to start looking for people to make your scripts.

Post a thread with a logline or short description of a finished script in the screenwriting or global ad subforum saying you are looking for someone to produce the script for you. If it's an interesting story (and doesn't take a hollywood budget to make) then you'll probably get some responses.

Just be aware that as a screenwriter, you will not have creative control over the finished product. So if you're not comfortable with someone changing your baby then giving away your scripts for credit may not be right for you.

Thank you I think collaborating might be a big word but I need someone to read my stuff once a while and critique it in a helpful way, giving me tools on how to improve it.

I found out that if you try to copy celtx files to this forum ( or to word documents) that you don't copy the style. It just gets very messy.

Use CODE tags: [ CODE ] blabla script [ /CODE ] without the spaces.
That should leave the format intact.

Code:
INT. LIVING ROOM - DAYSean ( 85), a retired man sits on a worn out couch humming to a broken version of Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit".Nathan ( 12 - boy) on his knees fills boxes with old books.The floor is covered with boxes, books, records, a record player and old man's clothes. Nathan opens a book, gets up and turns off the record player. He looks at Sean.  NATHAN  Shades of red, they came together on that day my heart was bleeding dry. Tears of sadness covering this emptiness and still I wonder whyNathan sits down on the couch and stares into Sean's eyesSEANAnd still I wonder whyNATHANYou miss grandma, don't you, grandpa?Sean looks outside. Red leaves fall from the trees. He takes a handkerchief out of his pocket, takes off his big glasses and wipes away his tearsNATHANMy teacher asked me to read one of your poems in front of the classSEANReally?Sean pages through the bookSEANThen I'll get you a real nice oneNathan grabs a photo stuck between two pagesNATHANIs this you and grandma?Sean puts the photo in his pocketNATHANI'll come visit you at the retirement homeSEANThat's sweetSean wraps his arms around NathanNATHANI love you, grandpa. And today even a bit more than yesterdaySEANWhat's so special about today, Nathan?NATHANOctober the fifth. It's been a year since gran...Sean gets up and runs out of the living room. Nathan gets up and stands in the doorway

I've collaborated with several members on here. It's not a bad place to start looking for people to make your scripts.

Post a thread with a logline or short description of a finished script in the screenwriting or global ad subforum saying you are looking for someone to produce the script for you. If it's an interesting story (and doesn't take a hollywood budget to make) then you'll probably get some responses.

Just be aware that as a screenwriter, you will not have creative control over the finished product. So if you're not comfortable with someone changing your baby then giving away your scripts for credit may not be right for you.

Thanks dreadylocks, could you tell me where I can find that global ad subforum

Code:
         INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY
Sean ( 85), a retired man sits on a worn out couch humming to a broken version of Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit".
Nathan ( 12 - boy) on his knees fills boxes with old books.The floor is covered with boxes, books, records, a record player and old man's clothes. Nathan opens a book, gets up and turns off the record player. He looks at Sean.  
              NATHAN
      Shades of red, they came together on that day my heart was bleeding dry. Tears of sadness covering this emptiness and still I wonder why

Nathan sits down on the couch and stares into Sean's eyes

SEAN
        And still I wonder why

It helps to use Enter and spaces...

Back