• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

chroma key problems

Looks like you casted a pretty hard shadow with your lighting. Can you post the original please? I think your problem may come from your production not your post.

Brooksy is right, it seems like you need to light it better. If you search on youtube there are some great lighting videos aimed at green screens. The important thing is to have the screen well lit and have it be completely even. The next important thing is to have a backlight to make your subject stand out from the background. And then a soft key light so we can see the subject (soft is needed so you don't cast a shadow on the screen).

That being said, AE's keylight plugin can do amazing stuff even with a poorly lit screen. I'd like to see the original shot, too, if you can post it :)

There are a couple of problems here. First off you need a background with a better contrast. While it is all pretty much the same color it is also pretty close to skin tone so a little harder to key. Next problem I see is that you are to close to the wall. Move yourself out because that shadow shouldn't spill onto the wall. Finally you need to light both the wall/screen separate from the subject. This means on the wall you need a different set of lights and the lighting needs to be even. Then light your subject separately. I hope that helps.

That helps very well, I am going to change the color to a darker color so the shadow shouldn't be so evident and second of all I am going to film away from the wall a bit. Lighting on the other hand...well I have what I have unfortunately...

Hmm very good point and thank you. My advice for lazy filmakers like myself is....don't use white...just buy an all blue curtain or cloth from wal*mart. (or whereever cloth is sold)

Back