• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Choppy video rendering problem

I currently use Ulead Video Studio 11 to render out my video and i've ran into a frustrating problem that I'm concerned will delay the release of my latest work (Delura EP 004) if I have trouble finding a solution.

I want to use the .AVI format of DivX 6.8.5, 1280x720 resolution @ 20 frames per second. The video will be uploaded to YouTube, but I want the highest quality possible.

The source and proxy videos play fine, but when I render out the video and watch it about half of my compilation is choppy at large portions of the video as if frames are being dropped. No other programs are running during the compilation process, and i'm using an Athlon 62 x2 6000 CPU with 2 gigs ram.

Does anyone here have any experience in this regard? What kind of settings could cause my video to behave this way?

Last edited:
.AVI format of DivX 6.8.5, 1280x720 resolution @ 20 frames per second

This is not a very HQ setting..

That aside, your PC is not capable of playing the file back. Its not the render its the playback system..

Even I, with my Core 2 duo could not playback 1080p HD uncompressed footage well.

Thats ok though, dont let it get you down.

Use another program like Handbrake to convert your render into a playback FRIENDLY format (h264) and it will be much smaller in size and playback smooth as butta..

Plus youtube LOVES h264 encoded files.

.AVI format of DivX 6.8.5, 1280x720 resolution @ 20 frames per second

This is not a very HQ setting..

I can confirm that it is not due to my system's ability to play back the file because I can open it in VirtualDub and see the individual frames. Every other frame in large chunks of my video are duplicated (I.E 1 frame will take up 2 frames before showing 3rd frame, resulting in choppiness). That said, where the video gets choppy is consistent and seems to happen on/off every 500 frames or so. It makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what format I output this sucker as either, it happens 100% of the time if I use DivX as my source file.

I do not see any kind of h264 options for rendering, is it named differently than what people call it when compiling video? Or is it something I have to locate and download before it can be utilized? Right now I'm limited to codec options that don't have to be purchased. Handbrake looks handy, I'm definitely going to be toying with that!

I'm doing my own experiments on my end for the time being, i've had some success with MPEG-2 format @ 60fps, but I can still see some stuttering. I'm beginning to regret that I chose 20 frames per second for animation. My BASE source files consist entirely of PNG files (25,000+ of them, 22 gigs worth!), so what I may have to do is ditch DivX and try to find something else that's suitable.

Last edited:
What IS your work flow?

You import your stills into Ulead Studio then what?

Its kinda painful to answer this question, but I'll oblige :)

Ulead Studio does not support import of stills to compose video with. Because of this, I have to do the following to have workable movie files for editing:

1) Using VirtualDub, I compile the image sequences (again, .PNG files) into an .AVI format. VirtualDub does not support anything but .AVI. I considered compiling uncompressed .AVIs, but the resulting files would have been larger than my hard drive's capacity... I'd need at least a terabyte free for that to happen, and my HD is 200 gigs.

2) With the resulting .AVI files, I place them into Ulead Studio's timeline and edit, cut, etc the video clips.

3) Compile final product.

When I finally get my hands on a better video editor, I imagine I'll be able to eliminate 1-2 lossy compiles from my workflow for better quality.

I've decided at this point that MPG at 60 frames per second will have to do. If later on I'm able to compile my series to a physical format (however unlikely), I will be fully dedicated to enhancing the visual quality of my work and correcting render mistakes and whatnot and hopefully by then I'll have some better software to work with.

EDIT: As a final note, my theory is that the DivX codec is one that is NOT meant to be re-compiled into anything.

Last edited:
I think your theory is correct.

MPEG should be OK. are you talking 60 frames Interlaced?

What frame rate is the animation suposed to playback at?

Thanks for your input by the way, it is really appreciated!

Most of my animation is 20 fps, but one scene had to be done at 15 fps because the render times were about 21 minutes per frame on my computers... thankfully someone with more powerful hardware was generous enough to lend me their computer's render cycles (there were about 1200 of these frames).

So, MPG plays back ok since 60 is divisible by both 15 and 20. As for "interlaced", what does that mean exactly?

Last edited:
I guess Im confused.... and I dont think Im helping much..

Your playback frame rate will affect the speed of playback on screen. Less frames per second means that action will go by faster.. right?

Footage rendered at 15fps will be 5 frames per second FASTER then the same footage rendered at 20fps.

Assuming you want everything to PLAYBACK at 30fps (NTSC standard)

Here is what I would try...

Virutal dub to render the stills into 1280x720 to 29.97 fps clips (30fps is really 29.97)

Import the 29.97 FPS clips into Ulead Studio

Do your edits and titles here..

Export from Ulead studio the best DELIVERY format for Youtube.

Interlace vs progressive is a big topic and is likely just noise in this discussion..

Back