Choosing a camera?

Hi, So I have been doing alot of research for a long time and have decided to buy this camera, This is also the website from the shop im going to buy it from. http://www.connscameras.ie/promotion/8714574559414pd.html

Do you think this is a good option? and if so what microphone would go well, after having some discussions about sound options, a Rode Videomic was the result, Do you think this is a suitable setup?

Thanks for that, Theres two things that would deter me from buying online, 1. Building a consumer relationship with the shop so that if something goes wrong I have some sort of assurance with the shop, this is a tip from someone in the forum that is very true and makes alot of sense, 2. Shipping, it might get damaged on the way over, or it could happen like it has happened to me before, that the item was missing when the box arrived, and im not prepared to go through the trouble of fighting back again. Thanks for the suggestion though

What are the pros and cone of a MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4 codec?
I see that the color sampling is far greater with the MPEG-2.
Anything else or other considerations?

TIA

Im going to rethink my microphone option, but my budget is not able to support it, so im going to get a better microphone but it means ill have to wait alot longer to buy both...I suppose it will be worth it

Are you okay with the fixed lens of the XF100? If you specifically wanted to avoid using DSLRs, at that price range there are a few other camcorders without a fixed lens that are okay, but it doesn't look like that retailer carries them. Personally, at that budget I would recommend buying a GH2 and spending the rest of the money on proper sound equipment and lenses.

Because, some of my projects, and some ways in which i make money, is to film school musicals and shows, so therefore i need a camera that doesnt film for ten minutes then stop.

Thanks for that, Theres two things that would deter me from buying online, 1. Building a consumer relationship with the shop so that if something goes wrong I have some sort of assurance with the shop, this is a tip from someone in the forum that is very true and makes alot of sense, 2. Shipping, it might get damaged on the way over, or it could happen like it has happened to me before, that the item was missing when the box arrived, and im not prepared to go through the trouble of fighting back again. Thanks for the suggestion though

Just so you know....

B&H has a great reputation of service and delivery. Most of the people I know with prosumer equipment, got it from them. At one time, I even spent about 45 minutes talking to someone about the microphone I was purchasing, They are very knowledgeable. That's where I get my stuff. Haven't been disappointed yet.

-- spinner :cool:

B&H has a great reputation of service and delivery. Most of the people I know with prosumer equipment, got it from them. At one time, I even spent about 45 minutes talking to someone about the microphone I was purchasing, They are very knowledgeable. That's where I get my stuff. Haven't been disappointed yet.

+1
thumbs_up.png

rent the expensive camera for your projects.

buy cheap camera, and do your short films.

I'd like to amend this, I've said this before, but it always made sense to me:

When I had a big project, I knew I would need the camera for about 3 weeks (about 23 days). The camera I was considering renting, after I added up the days/weeks I would need it for, I could buy the camera for the same amount I would have been renting it for.

If you are going to give someone some money, give it to yourself. I bought the camera for the price of renting and I still have the camera so I came out ahead.

-- spinner :cool:

spinner, i completely agree with you in your case. But if the paid projects, that OP mentions, will come up only once in a while, i think its absurd to buy an expensive camera. It will take quite some time before he ll pay himself back for it (looking from invertment point of view)

But its not worth paying alot of money for renting, when i can just buy it, and never have to rent, because rented money is wasted money, unless we are talking VERY expensive cameras, also I do projects like these alot and the quality is just not good enough anymore.

Because, some of my projects, and some ways in which i make money, is to film school musicals and shows, so therefore i need a camera that doesnt film for ten minutes then stop.

You wouldn't have that problem with the GH2. You can film for as long as your SD card will hold (or you can get an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja and get ProRes footage from the GH2 and still spend less than you would on that Canon). The other nice thing about the GH2 is that you can use virtually any SLR or cine lens out there with adapters (there are exceptions, but not many).

Back