Cheap Video camera's?

acs_400x387.jpg

I have had various vixia cameras and they were all bad in low light. I think any consumer camera is bad in low light. The day I find a camera really good in low light is when I spend a few grand on a camera.

I have had various vixia cameras and they were all bad in low light. I think any consumer camera is bad in low light. The day I find a camera really good in low light is when I spend a few grand on a camera.

That's the general rule.

I have an old Canon HV40 (also had an HV20 at some point) which I paired with one of the original JAG35 adapters (back when Jehu was still operating out of his garage!) and some old Canon FD lenses. Because the image is transmitted onto the ground glass and then recorded by the camera, you don't have any issues with low light performance.

I still have this baby just in case I ever need it (could never make myself throw it out, haha) but you can always pick up a PAL version for a bit more than the US.. IIRC it cost me $1300 new when I bought it here in Australia. Those damned yanks were enjoying it for $500 at that point, but dealing with pulldown in frame rates in post is a huge pain in the ass and definitely not worth buying an NTSC version.

Budget is about £200 and it is for practice shots, before I use the Sony EX3's from college.

Also, I have heard Canon are bad in low light situations. Is that true?

Since it's for practice shots you will be practicing using lights
so you do not need a £200 camera that is good in low light.

Panasonic SD40, Sony HDR-CX115EB, Sony HDR-CX115E

All are in your price range and all are half decent.

Back