Cheap dvx100b rippoff?

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I did some looking around online for cameras and found a site where brand new dvx100b's are going for $749.00. Somethings fishy about it because at other sites there listed for over 2 grand so I was wondering if this is legit or most likely a scam? Or are the sites with it listed at over 2 grand the ones ripping people off?

If it's too good to be true, it is! Unless it is from a trusted source. For example, if you see B and H doing it, then jump on it. If you see XYZCameraDealShop doing it, stay away. Just a rule of thumb. Definitely do you due diligence.

What generally happens in cases like this is they strip the package completely.. you'll get the camera for $749, but they'll take off the lens hood, lens cap, manuals, battery, etc.. and they won't let you buy it without the "value added package".. So you'll end up paying essentially the same price you would somewhere else, but you'll have a hell of a time dealing with them, and in many cases never see the camera at all.

It would be great to be able to get a dvx for that price, but it's not going to happen. Run away from those "deals" as fast and far as possible. The only way you'd get that kind of price on a dvx is if it were VERY heavily used, broken, or some rich relative/friend wanted to unload it quick (that could be a bit shady too, so even then ... I'd probably pass)

The going rate on the dvx is somewhere around the $2000 mark. Prices generally shift a couple hundred dollars above or below, but less than half the price -- No deal. Them's troubled waters ahead there.

I had heard from friends, when I was pricing my camera, was that if you find a DVX that is that much cheaper than the respected places to buy, like B&H, you are most likely getting yourself into trouble.

Some of the cheaper places, I was told, use cheaper components. The workmanship is shady at best, and forget about getting a working warranty. This is a very real case of buyer beware....

-- spinner :cool:

Back