legal Changing Film Title?

I’m hoping someone has had to tackle this one before. I’m about to hit production of my 3rd feature film and it looks like the film is going have its title changed. Essentially the director has never been too fond of the title, and we now have a title that all parties are happy with.

The issue that we are concerned about is that all our legal documents such as actors contracts and location permits have the original title on them.

Has anyone encounter this before? Or even know if it is an issue at all? Thanks in advance.

Hence the phrase "working title". Movie titles change as often as craft service will have Skittles and Red Vines, and a movie can have different titles for different countries. "Virgin Territory" (a guilty pleasure of mine) was loosely based on The Decameron (a 14th century book about the Black Death) and American Pie (a comedy about... er... mom's apple pie) and had 4 working titles, and was released in France as "Medieval Pie" and in Italy as "Decameron Pie". As for the legalities, I'm not sure if you need new signed contracts or just amendments, it would vary depending on where the film was shot, and I'd talk to a lawyer. You really don't want to get specific legal advice from people like me who are just assumpting.

You should be good but one thing you can do that is cheaper than talking to a lawyer is attach a rider to all the contracts and have the parties sign it.

Don't worry about the location permits. But any releases, yes. Since they're already signed, come up with a rider (you may want to ask @mlesemann for the wording she used)... and just get it signed and attach to original.

Back