• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

CGI Softwares

I was just looking into CGI and I was wondering what are the top 5 CGI softwares used in the industry.

Also I've already seen some softwares but the finished animation doesn't seem as crisp or sharp as the ones in the movies. Do they somehow polish the 3D animations or is it something about the rendering.

I'm hoping to use a CGI software to create a basic Grim Reaper.

think of it this way.. pencil is a piece of hardware.

but if you give me a pencil it won't look nearly as crisp or as sharp as some other pencil drawings you've seen,

I work is visual effects and am familiar with most of the packages out there. I've seen excellent work done on free software, and horrible work done on the best packages money can buy. So if CGI is your path, download Blender and INVEST your time learning. It can take months, often years, to become proficient with CG.

My recommendation: Build a puppet and shoot it was a miniature. You could biild a very nice puppet and shoot it over green screen the same day. Most NLE can pull the green and build a composite in near-real-time.

Back