cardioid mic

carioid mics have somewhat limited use in production sound for film. While the pattern is more directional than an omni, it is typically too wide for most shots and tends to pick up too much off axis sounds. Perhaps for walla groups, or crowd sounds, and some ambient sounds, it would work. Typically, indoors the pattern of choice is the hyper-cardioid, and outdoors the shotgun is king.

Cardioid is a microphone polar pattern. The polar pattern is how "wide" the audio "lens" is. Keep in mind, however you have to think in terms of three dimensional spheres.

polar-patterns.jpg

You'll note that there are three kinds of cardioids, and shotgun mics are, in essence, a hypercardioid capsule in an interference tube casing that further restricts the polar pattern. Just for fun, cardioid is from the Greek "cardio" meaning heart; note the heart shape of the cardioid polar pattern.

the reason im asking is because alcove recommended to get a cardioid in addition to a shotgun mic kit. Now im just wondering when should a cardioid mic be used. Do you ever use a cardioid and a shotgun together for a scene?

Cardioid is a microphone polar pattern. The polar pattern is how "wide" the audio "lens" is. Keep in mind, however you have to think in terms of three dimensional spheres.

polar-patterns.jpg

You'll note that there are three kinds of cardioids, and shotgun mics are, in essence, a hypercardioid capsule in an interference tube casing that further restricts the polar pattern. Just for fun, cardioid is from the Greek "cardio" meaning heart; note the heart shape of the cardioid polar pattern.

I dunno man?? That looks kinda like a butt to me.:) And I won't even get into what the supercardioid looks like:D

the reason im asking is because alcove recommended to get a cardioid in addition to a shotgun mic kit. Now im just wondering when should a cardioid mic be used. Do you ever use a cardioid and a shotgun together for a scene?

Despite GPs expertise in this area, a hypercardioid is the preferred mic for indoor usage for indie filmmakers; it mitigates (but not eliminates) the roomy echoey sound so prevalent in indie films. The problem is with the way a shotgun picks up sounds, and the way sound reflects off of surfaces in a room. 99% of indie filmmakers do not have the skill to use a shotgun properly when shooting indoors, so a hypercardioid mic will give them somewhat better sound.

If you want some idea of how difficult it is to boom properly, stick a camera on the end of a boom-pole and then keep it consistently focused on the mouths of the talent during a scene.

I thought that's what I said :)...

Despite GPs expertise in this area, a hypercardioid is the preferred mic for indoor usage for indie filmmakers; it mitigates (but not eliminates) the roomy echoey sound so prevalent in indie films. The problem is with the way a shotgun picks up sounds, and the way sound reflects off of surfaces in a room. 99% of indie filmmakers do not have the skill to use a shotgun properly when shooting indoors, so a hypercardioid mic will give them somewhat better sound.

If you want some idea of how difficult it is to boom properly, stick a camera on the end of a boom-pole and then keep it consistently focused on the mouths of the talent during a scene.

I find mic's with cardiod capsules are very useful for gathering sound effects and ambiences if you are not needing a very directional pattern outdoors (ie background sounds are ok), or indoors where there are no unwanted background sounds. It is also a suitable polar pattern for voice-over work in a controlled environment.

Back