CAPRICA: What Lessons Can Be Learned?

I'm sure that it's common knowledge now that the science fiction TV series CAPRICA has been canceled. CAPRICA is the spin-off series launched from the success of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Anyone have any idea of what went wrong with CAPRICA?

The problem was that it was too much different than BSG. When people thought about Caprica they thought it would be more like BSG. Just my opinion. There is going to be a new spin off series that is more like BSG last I heard.

They wanted to tap the audience that they built up for BSG but Caprica just could not hold that audiences attention.

Low ratings = Cancellation?

High Cost + No One Watching

so why did no body watch it.. I was a huge BSG fan.. didnt watch this much.. let me compare..

I missed a BSG episode. I WAITED until I could download it on itunes, wathced the missed episode and then watched the DVR of the current epidode a few days late..

for Caprica.. I watched the first ep... thought it was neat, fun back story etc.. , missed the 2nd one and never bothered to catch up.. rockerrockstar's assessment is right.. it didnt hold me.

Hyopthetically, I think that with BSG the space battles were a bigger part of the appeal in a subconscious way. They started doing less and less of them as the show went on and focused on characters. I think they thought if they just went with characters and good drama they'd still have everyone stick with it the same way.

To me, Caprica's flaw was more the fact that we already know the ending to the bigger story. It isn't too much of a surprise where this ends up and that takes away from the anticipation.

I just got the entire series on BLU RAY today for under $99 new. My woman and me are gonna go through this again as the weather starts to suck.

I watched caprica and thought it was just too different from BSG too hold that audience. I did miss the space battles and the ground battles too. I also missed the cast from BSG. Capricas cast was not as interesting too me. The other problem is that the show had too much drama and not enough action. Also, things did not get resolved fast enough. For instance the father did not figure out the girl was still in the robot forever. It seemed to be an on going thing that bugged me.

Last edited:
Back