• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Capitalizing whole sentences?

After reading the script for Silver Linings Playbook I noticed David O. Russell capitalizes entire sentences.

e.g.

PAT WALKS INTO THE SUPERMARKET AND GRABS MILK.

I thought you should only capitalize the noun and the verb of the sentence.

Is this type of format he uses acceptable for amateur writers or is it best reserved for when your established and can write however you want.

Thank You

Just had a quick look over the screenplay, and assuming it is in fact the real screenplay (and not a transcript or copy) then it's mind-bogglingly difficult to read with everything in caps.

I guess when you're established you can do what you want. I wouldn't suggest anyone without some decent prior credits adopt the form, however.

As he also Directed Silver Linings, it's possible that capitalisation meant something to him as the Director (i.e. perhaps the most important parts of the scene), or perhaps they were revisions. Hard to know without seeing the entire process. Either way, it's super difficult to read.

Just had a quick look over the screenplay, and assuming it is in fact the real screenplay (and not a transcript or copy) then it's mind-bogglingly difficult to read with everything in caps.

I guess when you're established you can do what you want. I wouldn't suggest anyone without some decent prior credits adopt the form, however.

This.

Def never do it unless you write for yourself to direct.
online a lot of scripts can be shooting scripts/transcripts etc. so once you find camera direction,we see etc. proceed with caution.

I have seen it in a great many scripts. They usually capitalize Very important actions in a scene.
And it is not reserved to well established writers. And i do it quite often too.
It could be a small action like a character slipping a ring into their pocket. But if it is the one thing that turns the movie around, then Capitalize it.

Important Sounds that a reader may easily interpret as incidental sound are always capitalized too.

And as i have seen, modern writers tend to substitute Capitalization for Slug lines.

But I write and shoot my own scrips, never aspired for spec scripts. So consider that.

Last edited:
I have seen it in a great many scripts. They usually capitalize Very important actions in a scene.
And it is not reserved to well established writers. And i do it quite often too.

+ 1

But be aware some readers - particularly the older ones - are not fans of it so then can penalize you somewhat for its use.

It's an effective technique but 100% don't overuse or abuse it. For a non-pro, I would classify:

PAT WALKS INTO THE SUPERMARKET AND GRABS MILK.

...as overuse / abuse. Why would the writer want to highlight the mundane?

The writer (David O. Russell) for Silver Linings did this a lot! It irritated the hell out of me. His screenplay was based on the book. Russell can do whatever he wants (including highlighting the mundane) - he's a Hollywood heavyweight with a billion plus of box office revenue behind him.

Where would I use it? I would classify:

MATT PULLS A GUN - FIRES!

or

SARA SLAPS RICK HARD

As fair usage since it's highlighting the exceptional or something really important.

The Hollywood heavyweights Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman use this technique a lot, eg:

INT. U.S.S. KELVIN - ENGINE ROOM - CONTINUOUS

In the massive Engine Room, a HUGE BLAST -- MEN GO FLYING IN THE
STEEL-SHATTERING EXPLOSION --

Always remember that a pro writer/director with solid production credits can get away with things that a non-pro can't. So don't copy Russell and highlight the mundane.

Last edited:
Regarding this discussion, I thought of two instances, one I used, another one I haven't yet.
1) Opens his mouth to scream but,

NO WORDS CAN COME OUT

2)He beheads

EVERYTHING IN HIS PATH

Are these ideas good or should I change them to look normal? Thanks for answering!:)

Regarding this discussion, I thought of two instances, one I used, another one I haven't yet.
1) Opens his mouth to scream but,

NO WORDS CAN COME OUT

2)He beheads

EVERYTHING IN HIS PATH

Are these ideas good or should I change them to look normal? Thanks for answering!:)

If you must use the above, I'd use:

He opens his mouth to scream but -- NO WORDS COME OUT

He BEHEADS EVERYTHING IN HIS PATH

For screenwriting try to stay in present tense and use active voice (not passive voice). You used some passive voice in your examples. This article explains active voice well and in detail:

http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/stay-in-present-tense-and-active-voice.php

For action scenes, this article will help:

How to Write Great Action
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-write-great-action.php

I always wonder why? Why do writers want to experiment with
format? The format is not a creative restriction - it is the way
screenplays are understood by everyone reading them.

Haiku is poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven,
and five which doesn’t rhyme. If it doesn’t follow these rules it
may be a great poem, but it isn’t haiku.

A screenplay has a format that allows others easily do their job.
For the new writer who has not sold a screenplay it is a writing
sample. You want to show creativity? Tell a compelling story with
iconic characters.

Capitalizing a sentence is the backdoor way of directing.

A Capitalized sentence, other than the slug line is, in fact, an elemental shot.

The writer is simply telling the Director where to point the camera without actually saying it. Besides, CLOSE IN, CLOSE UP, ANGLE ON, etc make for a lousy read.

This is common practice.

Back