• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't get this aperture right.

I want to do shots like this, like the shot 15 seconds into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_XxZEfjJo

As you can see Bond and the Armorer, are both in focus and M sees to be in focus as well. My camera operator collaborator tells me, and if he goes higher than f8, he starts to get aperture diffraction. But f8 is not high enough to put everyone in focus. I have done some tests with my T2i, but I too cannot get 3 different people in the room into focus at f8.

I used a DSLR camera for the first time last year in april, even I can get 4-5 people in decent focus at f5.6 im not expecting everyone to be perfectly in focus if they are all at different distances but more or less its hard to tell they are out of focus.

you need to say which lens you are using.

I have t3i 50mm 1.8, Samyang 14mm 2.8 no focusing problems at 5.6 with either infact they are probably pin sharp at that point.

best thing to do is get 3 cups and place them at different distances not too far apart and practice focus points at different apertures so you can see what looks better and some practice for yourself.

Go here and plug in the numbers to figure out what combination of lens/aperture/distance you need:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

So for instance with your 50mm at f/8 and camera 10 feet away you get 3 feet of stuff in focus - not quite enough for that scene. Go to 35mm and you'll get over 8 feet, which should work. Of course pulling your camera back with the 50mm to 15 feet will give you about the same. Or bump up to f/11 and get 6' at 10' or almost 14' at 15'. Are you shooting this on your T3i? I highly doubt the diffraction will be an issue for you at f/11, remember you're shooting at less than two megapixels of resolution with lenses designed to work at much higher resolutions, so a slight loss of resolution probably won't be noticeable (and could actually help minimize aliasing).

Last edited:
I have a 50mm 1.4 and an 18-55 right now. I can't go too far back though, cause the location I will be shooting in will most likely not be big enough, if I cannot find a bigger one. I tried with the 18-55 at 35mm, and it's still not working. I'll keep focusing on different things and maybe I will pick something in the middle that will be the right length.

Last edited:
I have a 50mm 1.4 and an 18-55 right now. I can't go too far back though, cause the location I will be shooting in will most likely not be big enough, if I cannot find a bigger one. I tried with the 18-55 at 35mm, and it's still not working. I'll keep focusing on different things and maybe I will pick something in the middle that will be the right length.

hang on a minute, if your space is small then surely you should be able to get more in FOCUS!

Not necessarily - the closer your focus point, the shallower the depth of field at any given aperture.

If you want everything in focus maybe you should shoot with a camera with a smaller sensor so you can get greater depth of field...

Whoa.

Déjà vu.

Ummm......he says he has an 18-55. Why not shoot wider? 24mm? 18mm? Put the camera as far back in the space as you can, and go as wide as you need to to get the whole shot. If he has enough space to shoot it at 50mm, surely there's plenty to shoot it at 18, 20, or 24.

I showed that Dr. No scene to a DP collaborator. He said that that scene was recreated using computer effects, cause they wouldn't have been able to get that deep DOF. Obviously he doesn't know what he is talking about.

What aperture ranges do your 50mm 1.4 and 18-55 lenses have?
What is the dimensions of the location space?
What is the distance from camera placement to subjects to be in focus?

He said that that scene was recreated using computer effects, cause they wouldn't have been able to get that deep DOF.
Infuckingcredible.

My aperture on the 50mm goes from 1.4 to 22, and on the 18-55 it goes from 3.5-32.

I am still trying to figure out the dimensions and camera placement. I haven't picked a location yet, just determining how I want the shots, and what we can do.

If the space has the lighting crank that ap down to >11. Should put everything in the room in focus.

You know me, H: Test, test, test, upload, post & review.

The 50mm lens should be the easiest to fool with.
Zooming in/out with the 18-55 will be problematic, but still doable!

Last edited:
I don't know why but I have the feeling that you always find these nonsense DPs that tell you that you cannot do the half of the things you want to do .

Maybe you should start operating the camera yourself untill you can hire someone more professional?

I showed that Dr. No scene to a DP collaborator. He said that that scene was recreated using computer effects, cause they wouldn't have been able to get that deep DOF. Obviously he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I'm not able to isolate the exact frame on my phone, but it is possible that a split focus diopter was used.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_focus#Split-focus_diopter

Edit:

Can't tell what you are looking at. At 0:15 it's just the start of a pan from someone at the door to the 3 of them at the desk. Dude and Bond, when they land if that is what you are talking about, aren't really that far apart - focal plane wise.

Likely nothing special was needed for that, so I'm back to not really understanding what you are asking for since there isn't anything particularly unusual going on there.

Last edited:
HOW MANY STUPID FUCKIN' THREADS DO YOU NEED TO START ON THIS DEEP FOCUS OBSESSION BEFORE GETTING IT ?

HYPERFOCAL GODDAMIT.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.
HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

MAYBE I'M NOT BEING CLEAR, ENOUGH. MAYBE A FEW OTHER TIMES MIGHT HELP YOU UNDERSTAND :

HYPERFOCAL.
HYPERFOCAL.
HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFOCAL.

HYPERFUCKINFOCAL.

Last edited:
Dude, Hyperfocals were awesome....

hypercolor1.jpg

I can't seem to get hyperfocal right, without aperture diffraction. That's my problem, diffraction. Before when you said hyperfocal, you never mentioned what diffraction is, and how it comes after f8.

As far as shooting myself, yeah I could do that. But the DP has access to a Black magic cameras, jibs. So it's nice to have him a project willing to work for free. It's just he often tells me he can't do certain things, only to find out from this site, that I can, and have to tell him.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get hyperfocal right, without aperture diffraction. That's my problem, diffraction. Before when you said hyperfocal, you never mentioned what diffraction is, and how it comes after f8.

Hyperfocal has NOTHING to do with diffraction.

And there is not fucking diffraction at f/8, the lenses are usually optimised to have the best optical qualities around f/8. Diffraction starts around f/16 usually down to f/22.

Get to f/8 or f/11, focus on the HYPERFOCAL (you can use use DOF Master to find where is it) and STOP THINKING. PUT YOUR BRAIN TO REST.

If you ever ask this again,

3r86mi.jpg

Last edited:
Back