• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

canon rebel t3 opinions

Good morning everybody!

I was wondering what was the general opinion on the Canon Rebel T3 for amateur film-making?
Price, ease of use, features, whatever else you can tell me!
Thanks for any information!!!
-Miles

I believe it was Canon's first DSLR to have movie mode (but I may be mistaken...)

It records footage at 720p/30fps, so you can get a decent looking picture. Sound will be an issue, so you'll want to get a separate audio rig so you can get a usable soundtrack for your footage.

There are cameras/camcorders better suited to filmmaking at the same price point as the T3. I would shop around...

@LasVegasIRA,
when you say "separate audio rig" are you referring to something such as the Zoom H4n?
I was considering purchasing one.
I will continue to shop around as you suggest - any specifics you could possibly recommend off the top of your head??

Yes, the Zoom H4n is a "go to" audio recorder for many indie filmmakers. It will get you off to a good start, audio-wise.

If you're trying to keep the cost down, a Canon T2i would be a better choice than the T3 due to its ability to shoot 1080p footage. The T3i, an even better choice than that, in that has more features that would appeal to a videographer. It all just comes down to how much you're looking to spend, and what you're trying to achieve.

If you have no experience at all with filming, I would probably suggest suggest going with a Canon HV-20, as they're less prone to difficulties with new operators, but still give a great picture at 1080p24. You can pick one up used or refurb on ebay for under $500.

Back