Canon EOS 5D Mark II

This is from a 7D - while it does a fair amount of shallow DoF shooting, there are some nice deeper focus shots as well. It looks like there was some level of grading done, but other than that one of the nicer, more balanced DSLR pieces I've seen. There are definitely rolling shutter artifacts in several of the more motion laden shots though.

Not my film, just posting it as I've been looking for something shot with DSLR that isn't 100% extreme shallow DoF.

http://vimeo.com/groups/28609/videos/6501875

5D mark 2 best filming support system

More and more interested using this camera for filming.

It's silly and too jerky to hold just the camera for moving, panning without tripod. What is the best system to support the camera so it can be handled more as a regular video camera ?

something like this:

blg_canon5d_11.jpg

More and more interested using this camera for filming.

It's silly and too jerky to hold just the camera for moving, panning without tripod. What is the best system to support the camera so it can be handled more as a regular video camera ?

something like this:

blg_canon5d_11.jpg

Ya, now that we're saving money on a camera that shoots film-look, let's now add a few thousand dollars more for a mount...I mean...it's only fair right? We can't have our cake and eat it too, you know!

I think the footage looks great from these cameras. I think you could get gritty with it as well. It's up to the DP and/or Camera Op. I'd be curious to see some in-your-face gritty films shot on this--by someone that knows what they are doing.

The wedding stuff didn't do much for me.

I think the footage looks great from these cameras. I think you could get gritty with it as well. It's up to the DP and/or Camera Op. I'd be curious to see some in-your-face gritty films shot on this--by someone that knows what they are doing.

The wedding stuff didn't do much for me.

Here's a short film I did last month, testing the camera out in a narrative production environment with lights, crew, etc.

http://vimeo.com/8145618

5d mark 2 accessory

Here's a short film I did last month, testing the camera out in a narrative production environment with lights, crew, etc.

great project. could you recommend what film-accesories you are using ?

in particular:
tripod/head ?
lights ?
sound recording ?

any stabilizers for in-hand / panning filming ?

oh,
and recommendations for a good script-writing workflow ?
how do you proceed from an idea to concrete scenes ?
any SW that helps with this process ?

Last edited:
in particular:
tripod/head ?

I have a Bogen tripod that's been thru 3 cameras already. Also, a Cobra Crane and skateboard dolly wheels attached to a 2x4' particle board.

For this project, we mostly used our 1K Fresnel and a white bounce card.n We also have two 650 fresnels.

sound recording ?

AT835b shotgun mic to a Zoom H4N.

any stabilizers for in-hand / panning filming ?

A regular cheapy shoulder mount.

and recommendations for a good script-writing workflow ?
how do you proceed from an idea to concrete scenes ?
any SW that helps with this process ?

Final Draft is the only software I really recommend for screenwriting.

Beyond that, it's just writing the scenes, doing a breakdown, and prepping a shotlist and other prep work from there.

Which to me is annoying. I always want the option to XLR right into the camera. But that may be just me.

I always found tethering to the camera kind of a pain. The biggest (and only) advantage is not having to sync in post. But recording to the Zoom H4N is way better audio quality than I ever got recording to my DVX so it's well worth that extra step.

I always found tethering to the camera kind of a pain. The biggest (and only) advantage is not having to sync in post. But recording to the Zoom H4N is way better audio quality than I ever got recording to my DVX so it's well worth that extra step.

A good boom op doesn't mind cord wrangling...and in complicated handhelds or moves, a dedicated cord wrangler can help out.

Not having to sync isn't the only benefit...another benefit is cost. You save a lot of money not needing external sound equipment, and/or hiring a guy that does it all.

Not having to sync isn't the only benefit...another benefit is cost. You save a lot of money not needing external sound equipment, and/or hiring a guy that does it all.

The added cost is $300 for the Zoom H4N, which is amortized over the life of the product. In terms of film equipment expenses, that's nothing.

Otherwise, you still have the cost of the mic, boom, and boom op. None of that changes.

The added cost is $300 for the Zoom H4N, which is amortized over the life of the product. In terms of film equipment expenses, that's nothing.

Otherwise, you still have the cost of the mic, boom, and boom op. None of that changes.

Well, all technicalities aside...let's just say having a boom op plug directly into the camera is going to save you some money. :)

Well, all technicalities aside...let's just say having a boom op plug directly into the camera is going to save you some money. :)

How? The Zoom H4N can fit in your pocket, which means the boom op can monitor levels while booming. Otherwise, the camera op can do it. Either way, it's the exact same number of people.

I mean, do what you're comfortable with, but what you're saying simply isn't true. I've done it both ways and it didn't cost any more money.

Ya, now that we're saving money on a camera that shoots film-look, let's now add a few thousand dollars more for a mount...I mean...it's only fair right? We can't have our cake and eat it too, you know!.

Funny you mention that, there are iris rod mounts for DSLR that when fully laid out more than double the cost of a 5d mkII. And that is with a fairly lame follow focus like the Red Rock one. The numbers with a proper Chrozeil (sp?) are just nutty.

Basically if you go all accessory crazy, you're paying about the same as the buy-in on an HVX-200a new, or a used HVX package with goodies.

Very nice. Timely story too.

RE: In-camera audio vs. external recorders.

If the external is in the budget I would go that way almost every time. Some cameras do a pretty good job of munging your audio signal by comparison to a dedicated recorder, and I'd imagine on a 7D or a 5D-II where you need a box between the xlr and the camera the problem might be exacerbated enough that an inexpensive recorder is a viable option.

The flip side is a more robust video camera may be a better audio recording device than a budget digital audio recorder. It just depends on the gear.

Sync in the world of digital NLE isn't that big of a deal, even without the benefit of locked time-code between the recorder and the camera. There's where it gets prohibitively expensive for the no-budget crowd. It is extra work in post, but not terribly hard especially on short pieces.

Bottom line though, if you can afford it, get an on-set recordist that can boom AND monitor levels. Even better, a dedicate boom op and a recordist. The difference is well worth it.

The flip side is a more robust video camera may be a better audio recording device than a budget digital audio recorder. It just depends on the gear.

FWIW, having shot back-to-back shorts, one with the audio going directly into the HVX, and the other with the same audio gear going to a Zoom H4N, there's simply no comparison. The H4N was hands-down better, better quality and a better experience.

FWIW, having shot back-to-back shorts, one with the audio going directly into the HVX, and the other with the same audio gear going to a Zoom H4N, there's simply no comparison. The H4N was hands-down better, better quality and a better experience.

Good to know. I haven't had the chance to do a comparison with the HVX and never heard of the Zoom before. Nice little device.

How? The Zoom H4N can fit in your pocket, which means the boom op can monitor levels while booming. Otherwise, the camera op can do it. Either way, it's the exact same number of people.

I mean, do what you're comfortable with, but what you're saying simply isn't true. I've done it both ways and it didn't cost any more money.

How can it not be true? You're buying more equipment. Nuff said.

Back