Canon 814 & 1014 repair

I recently purchased an 814 that was "dead on arrival" after buying it off ebay. I figured I had nothing to loose, so proceeded to dismantle it hoping to find the cause. On the way, i thought if a took photos of the procedure, and posted them, they might help another in the same boat. I also included some pics of a 1014 i picked up that was not working, still looking into that one. I did the same procedures on a 1218 i bought a year ago, again, D.O.A, and I got that one going to. If people want to see pics of that, I might be able to dig them too. Anyway, have a look at the website below, might come in handy...

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/

The good news was, the camera now works great, and if anyone was curious, have a look at the site. If I have made any glaring errors, let me know.

I hope the pictures are useful.
cheers,
gareth blackstock

This is so ironic that I found this post when I needed it most. LITERALLY. I was lookin at my super 8 cameras particularly the 1014 and I finally had some money for some film so I wanted to start shooting again yesterday and the day before.

I had bought this camera on ebay as well and it was a decent deal while it was supposed to not be DOA. Oddly, the camera turns on sometimes and sometimes doesn't. The compartments for the batteries were pretty clean, but either way now it doesn't power on. But I can't believe you just posted this yesterday, I got to thank you Mr. Blackstock.
THANK YOU!

G'day

thanks for the good feedback, I had hoped the site would come in handy. I am keen to upload shots about the lens aspect, as many cameras get either fungus or condensation.

I have had a few emails for clarification, thankfully all positive.

I will let you know when the lens part is up.
cheers

G'day.

It was suggested I make up some pdf's that people can download from the site. I uploaded two powerpoint presentations, the files are smaller, less than 1mb each, and they are not protected so people can enlarge the pictures if they need to.

I hope people can download and place them on other websites so they might stay online for a long time.

cheers, Gareth

website update

Hello all.

I got around to replacing the lens on my canon 814. Now she is ready to shoot to see how the repairs have gone. The 1014 is still a work in progress.

As before, feedback is welcome, but i hope others can make use of the pictures. Soon i will put the pictures into a powerpoint that can be downloaded for easier off line viewing.

cheers

Canon 1218

Gareth,

The info you posted on the 814 and 1014 is very helpful. Thank you. I recently bought a 1218. Using your info I was able to take the lens apart and clean some of the elements. Some of them had some kind of residue that made them look a bit foggy.

Though, now I've found that the camera motor runs fine without a film cartridge, but is a bit sluggish with film. I'm planning to take the body apart and was hoping you might have some pictures or a text guide as to how to do that.

Thanks,
David

Back