Canon 550D Questions (Again)

Hey guys, i've got more questions yet again pertaining to the 550D.

I got talking to a guy the other day and he has a 50D I believe, and we were discussing lenses for that and the 550D, which I have. When I asked him about using an adapter for lenses fitted for the old film EOS series, he told me that the picture from the lens would be cropped somewhat when shooting photography and, more concerning to me, video. This put my idea of getting a converter and some old, cheaper lenses (which I hear can be just as good as the auto lenses - I don't opt for auto stuff much anyway) into doubt.

Is this full frame sensor issue true? Is getting the converter to use old film lenses worthwhile if this is true?

Also, I was wondering what a good lens to follow on from my 18-55mm kit lens is? I am looking for something within the £0-200 price range. A cheap and cheerful lens would do nicely for now, if anyone knows of any.

Thanks guys.

Yes, it "Crops" the picture. On your camera 1.6X I think. What that means is a 28mm lens (on a 35mm film camera, or a full frame sensor) becomes a 45mm lens (on an APS-C sensor) as far as the field of view you have through it. Doesn't diminish the quality of the picture, just have to know you won't see what you expect as far as field of view for a given focal length.

Are you talking about using the old, manual Canon FD lenses? It is possible to use them, but only with an optical adapter - this will lose you light and IQ, and the nature of such an adapter means that your image will be magnified and you won't have such a wide angle.

If you want to look into manual focus lenses, have a look at Bob Atkins's list of manual focus lenses you can use on EOS bodies.

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

enjoy.

buy a prime lens, it will be much more useful than your zoom

i recommend this for your second lens

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=50mm+canon+1.8&cid=6515082564231068200&ei=afY5Td-iHI_8xAWHl6nKDg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

cheap and cheerful and VERY useful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigmikeyeah/

check out my photos, most of the new ones are taken with the 1.4 50mm cannon lens.

the crop factor is 1.6x on this lens, since it is an EF lens, so it'l be like 80 mm on your camera, but it's still very useful :}

Your image is cropped, no matter what lens you use. It's the size of the camera's sensor. All it means is that the same lens will produce a larger image on a full-frame camera (like the 5D). The same lens on a 550D will produce a cropped image, period, nothing you can do about it, and it's the same with all lenses.

take a look at the super takumar 50mm f1.4, the look is just awesome. got mine on the way! next up is a 28-35mm lens... still deciding. for wide angle the tokina 11-16mm looks worthy

Last edited:
hdmi out is a strong motivator for getting the 7d that's for sure

I am actually partial to the GH2, but hobbyist photographer fiance (we are getting it as a dual use camera), won't go for it. The allure of the T2i is you can now get body only for $600 all day long ebay. She is pretty much insisting on either the 7D, or the Nikon D7000 though (at minimum). Sale of some of her old gear is going to partially fund, so gotta listen to her, lol.

Yes, no HD out is the major drawback to the T2i.

I'm thinking of buying the 28mm f2.8 for my 550D/T2i would that give a decent wideangle? or because of the cropfactor become 40mm-ish?

thanks
Liam

It'll be a good normal lens, but not wide-angle. I think people can get too hung up on specific focal lengths - as long as it will be useful to you, go for it.

Back