Can you attach a Lexus extreme/red rock micro 35mm lense to xh-a1?

Hi,

I was wondering whether buying a slightly cheaper camcorder and spending money on a nice 35mm lense adapter would create a better short-film look than just getting an HVX200 or something within that price range?

I'm alright with comp/lighting/sound, and am getting a more powerfull PC for editing, but would like a nice DOP and the best hdv I can get with £3000 ($4500). Do I stretch for a HVX200/similar or try and get the best out of a cheaper model, (XH-A1\S-HVR-V1u) with a good 35mm adapter maybe?

Thanks in advance for any comments - really good site!

i cant answer all your questions but i know for a fact letus x is compatible with xh a1. idk how it compares to those other cams but it does have a very very nice picture imo.

http://vimeo.com/2708770

this is xha1 plus letus extreme. maybe not the best example, but i like skimboarding :cool:

Hi Dean

Yes the M2 Encore is a great match with the Canon A1. We were just shooting some clips on the G1 (essentially the same as the A1) and it looks fantastic.

I'm not going to win any awards with this clip, but it does show a clean image:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/bvalente/canon_encore_test5.mov

As a bonus, the Encore performs in the class of Letus Ultimate, but it is less than 1/2 the price for a complete kit. It overcomes the constraints of the extreme nicely

Brian

Lovely shots guys, thanks for the comments. Think I'm sold on the XH-A1 and love that Lexus.

Do any of you recommend a good tripod? I've been looking at the Manfrotto Bogans, but they're fairly pricey. I'd like one with as little panning torque as poss with a fluid head. If anyone has any recommendations for something around $250 I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

$250? Nope. A good tripod for filmmaking will run over $800. For still photo, you could spend less.

As for tripods, here are 3 options, the first being super affordable, with some good reviews. However, I have no firsthand experience, these are options I have seen on the net with favorable reviews.

Velbon 7000 (tripod + head)
Manfrotto 745BK Tripod with a Manfrotto 701RC2 head or the Manfrotto 055MFV Tripod with the same head.

That being said, I like Millers, which are $800/up.

Blimey! Still got to get a stedicam - gonna have to sell a kidney! It's true isn't it; that the camera ends up being the cheap part!

Would you buy second hand or would that be silly? :no:

Anything second had I would test first if possible, or buy from a reputable dealer that has a return policy.

Looks pretty sturdy for the money Kgasser2. Is there a Kgasser1? Maybe you dad?!:)

I worked on a tele programme called Red Dwarf and the used Sachlers - might try and sneek back in and nick one!

So many components for a shot these days aren't there?! Once you've got Camera, Tripod, Stedicam, Lense, Focus pulling, Lighting, Sound, Foley, Capturing, Software, Hardware, Compression and remembering why you love making a film in the first place out of the way, you can start to concentrate on the frickin story!

Big up the short film makers

Back