Can someone recommend a shoulder rig for RED Epic?

I've put Epics on the Redrock shoulder rig. It mounts fine, and it supports the weight pretty easily.

On a RED, you really need to have an external monitor, or mount your touchscreen somewhere other than on top, as you won't be able to see it the way a lot of the rigs work.

I personally am not a fan of the Redrock rigs, though I've only ever had issues with their Follow focusses and Matte boxes - the shoulder mount held the camera fine, and the operator seemed relatively comfortable with it on his shoulder (with me taking camera between takes of course ;))

I've never used a RED on a cheaper mount, so I can't really tell you how it compares, but as long as you get something half decent, it shouldn't be too bad. I recently assisted a friend of mine on a shoot and he had a chinese Tilta rig with an FS700 on it which was perfectly fine. I'd be looking for something with decent build quality - you don't want things breaking apart when you've got a $30k camera with a $12k lens on it.

When I operate handheld, I generally ask production for an Easyrig which is great. I've handheld the Alexa before and it is a beast. It's relatively comfortable but the weight of it is just a killer. Unless we're using a DSLR, FSx00 series or a Cx00 camera then I'll always push for an Easyrig, at least if we've got handheld stuff planned. It makes it heaps easier for everyoen.

Last edited:
Gonna quickly mention http://www.cpmcamerarigs.com/ , who are a forum supporter. There's a discount code for IT'ers, as well, though I can't recall it for the life of me.

It's not as expensive as some of the other brands being tossed around, but it's better than the typical lol-brands frequently mentioned. Do due dilligence & research etc.

Back