Can someone help me please?

Hey everyone, I would like to apologize ahead if this has been asked a million times.

I'm looking for a camera to film with. I have a budget of $600.00 - I would like a good quality filming camera and I wanna get the best out of my money. My friends and I want to get into filmaking and possibly taking a film to Sundance film festival.

Is there a good HD quality camera that would support video to be projected on a big screen?
-Such as horror movies shot at night time/ woods/ a lot of movement?

Also if there is any other cameras you could suggest that would be recommended just a little bit above $600.00 please let me know!

I came across this but I'm not sure if it's any good - https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&sa=X&ei=eSh1UN6vEa-C0QHO_IDwDg&ved=0CL8BEMwD

Thank you very much - Justin.

The XL1 is a MiniDV format camera, and not HD. As far as theater projection goes, you'll really to be struggling to find something for less than a few grand (the BlackMagic Design cinema camera shoots in 3k or 4k, both of which would be feasible for quality theater projection. Sounds like it's a bit out of your range, though, so you might need to settle for HD DSLRs. The higher resolution and larger chip should hep the quality of the piece.

For $600 in th HD range, you'll probably need to go with a Sony NEX-5n or Canon T3i (both limited to kit lenses.)

Unfortunately, though, Harmonica is completely right about audio gear. DSLRs have notoriously terrible on-board sound, and if you're aiming for Sundance quality, you'll probably be out of luck.

In fact, out of the gate, you might want to set the sights a bit more realistically

www.withoutabox.com

The above site is a decent reference for many different film festivals worldwide. Find a few smaller ones in your area, get whatever gear you can, submit a film, attend, and meet people. Look for films that have quality sound and ask them who did that, what gear was used, who did the post audio, with what, etc. Make friends, help others, get help, etc.

There's an old saying -- and I know both Alcove and APE can attest -- your movie only looks as good as it sounds. Even if you get an Alexa, or a Red Epic, you can't forget about sound.

the BlackMagic Design cinema camera shoots in 3k or 4k, both of which would be feasible for quality theater projection.
The Blackmagic Cinema Camera records at a maximum of 2.5k in raw format. You can also shoot at 1080p in ProRes. The majority of films are projected at 2k currently, and very few theatres have 4k projectors because they are a lot more expensive. Anything that records in HD will upscale pretty easily, but that's not to say all HD cameras are made the same.

For $600 in th HD range, you'll probably need to go with a Sony NEX-5n or Canon T3i (both limited to kit lenses.)
Or stretch your budget a tiny bit (an extra $185) and get a GH2 which will give you better image quality than both those cameras:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._DMC_GH2K_K_Lumix_DMC_GH2_Digital_Camera.html

That said, it depends on your level of experience and what you want to get as an end result - a professional with a full grip truck could make something shot on a $400 camera look good, whereas a newb with an Alexa would still get average images.

If you're looking for something 'blair witch project'-ey, then I wouldn't worry too much - it was shot on consumer camcorders and you could make something similar with a cheap camera. If you want a bit more production value, you'll probably have to go to a DSLR.

But you won't be getting into Sundance with a budget of $600. Like Crazy may have been shot on a $1200 camera, but they had a budget of ~$250,000 and shot with lenses that cost ~$12,000 each.

Also if there is any other cameras you could suggest that would be recommended just a little bit above $600.00 please let me know!
You can get into Sundance with a great film. The cost of the
camera is irrelevant to the selection committee.

You will need a camera that has a mic input and you will need
a good mic.

Canon HFM50 - $535 (8GB)
Canon HFM52 - $700 (32GB)
Sony HDR-CX580v - $800 (on sale through Oct 2012 $649)

another question

Okay since I won't have money right away to get a 3,000$+ camera.

What camera would you guys suggest I use to make short films/movies I could put online for people to watch?

But you won't be getting into Sundance with a budget of $600. Like Crazy may have been shot on a $1200 camera, but they had a budget of ~$250,000 and shot with lenses that cost ~$12,000 each.

Colin was shot on five and ten year old DV-tape cameras, with a budget of 70 bucks, and the movie was a head turner on Cannes.... Just saying :)

Okay since I won't have money right away to get a 3,000$+ camera.

What camera would you guys suggest I use to make short films/movies I could put online for people to watch?

You will need a camera that has a mic input and you will need
a good mic.

Canon HFM50 - $535 (8GB)
Canon HFM52 - $700 (32GB)
Sony HDR-CX580v - $800 (on sale through Oct 2012 $649)

I agree with directorik and dlevanchuk. You could shoot a story on VHS and if the story/content was good enough the camera quality doesn't mean as much. However, good audio is a necessity. If it's a good story the audience is more forgiving on the quality of the picture but the majority of audiences have very low tolerance for bad audio.

Back