• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

software Can I select all color nodes while in the Color Tab? Davinci Resolve Question.

Greetings, I use Davinci Resolve for editing my videos and I'm wondering if there is a hotkey or method of editing that could speed up the following process within Resolve. I use a Windows OS.

As I'm editing a movie review in the Edit Tab I select specific clips on the Timeline to mark with a Yellow color to flag it for applying a Directional Blur at a later time. There are over one hundred of these when I'm done editing.

I switch into the Color Tab and add the Direction Blur to the first Yellow marked clip. Then I Ctrl+Click each of the Yellow marked clips that were on my timeline. This takes about 10 minutes of scrolling and clicking. Once I have all the Yellow marked clips highlighted I then scroll back to the first Yellow clip I added the Direction Blur to, I middle mouse click so that it applies the same Node Grade to all the 100 clips I have selected.

Is there a way to select all Yellow Marked clips from my timeline while in the Color Tab? I know I can select all Yellow clips while in the Edit Tab with a hotkey, but I can't find how to do it in the Color Tab. If not, do you have any suggestions on how I could change my process to avoid 10+ minutes of mindless clicking and scrolling?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. I've attached two images to show what I mean.

Attachments

• Yellow Clips 01.jpg
    Yellow Clips 01.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Yellow Clips 02.jpg
    Yellow Clips 02.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 172
Yes, there is a much better solution for this type of process in Resolve. Here's what you need to do. When you want to edit a group of clips in resolve, you need to use the node based internal hierarchy. It's not difficult.

1 First, go to the color tab and select all the clips you want to create similar edits for (in your case all the yellow clips) and then right click on one.
2 Select "Add into a new group". You can name it whatever you like, or use the default.
3 At the top right of the color screen there is a small drop down menu that says "clip", click on the arrow next to it
4 Select "group post-clip"
5 Edit this node like any other clip, and all settings are applied to all selected clips that have been added to this group

So basically, you can create a master node that passes down data to all subnodes in the hierarchy. In this way you no longer have to select all your clips when you go back to make alterations. Sub nodes can still be tweaked individually, as an additive layer on top of the metanode controls. So lets say you apply a color grade to 20 clips, and it looks good, but a cloud passes over during one shot, you can go back and offset the gamma from that shot within the group, without breaking the consistency of your meta profile, or needing separate groups.

Yes, there is a much better solution for this type of process in Resolve. Here's what you need to do. When you want to edit a group of clips in resolve, you need to use the node based internal hierarchy. It's not difficult.

1 First, go to the color tab and select all the clips you want to create similar edits for (in your case all the yellow clips) and then right click on one.
2 Select "Add into a new group". You can name it whatever you like, or use the default.
3 At the top right of the color screen there is a small drop down menu that says "clip", click on the arrow next to it
4 Select "group post-clip"
5 Edit this node like any other clip, and all settings are applied to all selected clips that have been added to this group

So basically, you can create a master node that passes down data to all subnodes in the hierarchy. In this way you no longer have to select all your clips when you go back to make alterations. Sub nodes can still be tweaked individually, as an additive layer on top of the metanode controls. So lets say you apply a color grade to 20 clips, and it looks good, but a cloud passes over during one shot, you can go back and offset the gamma from that shot within the group, without breaking the consistency of your meta profile, or needing separate groups.
Thank you for the reply, however, the main issue I was having is what you mentioned in Step 1. Selecting all the clips in the color tab. There are usually well over a hundred of those by the time I'm that I would have to select them during the final phase of my editing. I was just wondering if there was a way to quickly select all the marked/colored clips while within the Color tab, to save me the time of having to click on all the Yellow clips one by one. For example, while in the edit tab, I have a hotkey set up so I can select all Yellow clips with one button. Yet when I go to the Color tab that hot key doesn't work and I have to select them one at a time by holding the CTRL key.. which takes forever. Once I have them all selected, I just apply my grade to all of them with one click anyways. It's the selecting that takes 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks for the tips though, that is great advice for a project that I may have to do more editing to at a later time. :)

Back