• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can I mention actors names in my screenplay?

Can you mention a actor's name in a screenplay and film? Like the characters (and soon to be actors) in my screenplay want to mention and talk about how the deaths of Chris Farley and John Belushi and Phil Hartman, is that alright to have my characters (actors) in my screenplay mention the names of those actors in my script and film?

Can you mention a actor's name in a screenplay and film? Like the characters (and soon to be actors) in my screenplay want to mention and talk about how the deaths of Chris Farley and John Belushi and Phil Hartman, is that alright to have my characters (actors) in my screenplay mention the names of those actors in my script and film?
Yes.

Usually when I'm making a short film I find all of my actors beforehand and write the script based on their personalities just so their "acting" is more believable, so I just use their names.

Yeah I do the same. Even Robert Rodriguez wrote a character called Buscemi into his 'Desperado' screenplay because he knew he wanted Steve Buscemi for the part. I'm not sure if they ever say the name in the film, but that's how he's billed in the credits.

Though I think the OP was referring more to using the names of famous actors (Hartman, Farley, etc) in his dialogue, which as directorik said is fine.

Back