camera settings for web

hey dudes/dudettes,

filming some stuff for web. the gear i have available will only let me shoot
1080i HD
or 720p

is it worth the HD footage with interlaced or should I kick it back with the 720p? the 1080 is a newer camera (Canon XH A1) and the 720 is an older JVC streamcorder. just wondering what you guys recommend.
:yes:

seb

Shoot 1080, even if it's for the web. That way you have more control over your footage for example when you want to reframe or deshake it in post. Also you have the ability do show a full 1080-version should you ever need it.
Generally downresed 1080 looks better than 720 original. You get more details. And by the way, the XHA1 is a great camera. If you can use it, use it.

thanks man! i was leaning towards the A1 because I've worked with it more and I agree its a great camera. what are some problems i would encounter with the interlaced footage over the progressive?

what are some problems i would encounter with the interlaced footage over the progressive?

With final output for the web, if you don't deinterlace your footage you'll likely end up with "jaggy" artifacts when you render your final file.

Aside from that, the only other thing to keep in mind is to output in square pixels to make sure aspect ratio looks right on computer monitors.

But both of those are editing issues, all taken care of in your software.

Can't think of anything that really needs to be done camera-side.

Back