Camera Question JVC

I have a JVC GZ-MG21U - specs- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16830145048

I plan to start filming a documentary similar to startup.com and thinking that the above camera I already own won't cut it. I don't plan on doing any post/editing work myself, but just want to gather footage in the early stages of a potentially successful start up company. If it is possible to use this camera any advice on sound, lighting etc. that I should consider as I get started? If this camera won't cut it any recommendations on a camera under $1000 (new or used)?

Thanks, Ryan

The fact that you're shooting a documentary tells me absolutely nothing. What sort of things will you be shooting, indoor or outdoor? Are you going to do a voice over, or use the audio from your recording. What sort of audio will you be recording? Jet airplanes?, people speaking?, at what distance?

Finally, and just as important as all that, how do you plan to distribute your movie? Web? DVD? Movie Theaters? No one can offer any credible advice about the suitability of a consumer camcorder without a little more information.

I've seen many things shot on similar equipment. For YouTube, it may be good enough.

Doug

If it is possible to use this camera any advice on sound, lighting etc. that I should consider as I get started?

Yes. It's possible to us that camera. You will need a good mic and an
audio recorder and a good lighting kit is always helpful. Since you are
starting your own company the more light you have, the better.

There are a dozen posts here about cameras - many of them answered
by me. I'm sure when you searched the boards you found them. If you
have some specific question not answered, I'd be glad to go into more
detail. But the general info about my choice of cameras in you price
range is there.

It's difficult to help you with so little information. You want to spend
around a grand for the camera. Add a mic and a small light kit and
you're looking at another grand - most likely more. If I were to help
you with info in a $2,500 light kit and a $1,000 mic would that be
of any help?

Maybe if you also told us your budget range for sound and lights you
might get more help. Also there are dozens of posts here about audio
and lighting. I'm sure reading all of them answered your basic questions,
so what, specifically do you still need help with?

Back