Camera or Car??

So I've just finished year 12 (final year of 'compulsory' schooling in Australia) and I'm planning on offering myself to film weddings and other events. My passion is short films, but I figure I can earn some decent money on the side from shooting events. I've got an ok experience, shot about 8 weddings over the last two years on a Sony Z7p and similar which I have either borrowed or been given to use because I was hired by another video guy (whose business has now closed). I've also shot a heap of dance concerts and the like.

Here's my dilemma. I don't currently have a car or a camera which can shoot events (I own a 600D). My current money only allows me to buy one of these at the current time. If I buy a camera then I have no source of transport other than public and attempting to borrow off friends, but if I buy a car then I can't really do much work in the way of event film work. I would like to get started with this as soon as I can but I don't feel right promoting myself while I'm still borrowing gear which I'm not going to be guranteed on any given weekend.

The camera I would be looking at buying is something similar to what is being discussed on this thread, probably a FS100 or EA50 from Sony http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=44600

So should I buy a camera or a car first?

Last edited:
Can you afford the insurance costs, maintenance costs & gas costs that accompany such a car?

don't feel right promoting myself while I'm still borrowing gear which I'm not going to be guranteed on any given weekend.

Assuming you do get the transporation, do you have a local rental house to rent said gear from? Build the cost of the gear rental into your rates, and you can use the "save the day" deposit placed for the event to rent the needed gear in advance. You might need to borrow a family member's creditcard (unless you have your own) to secure the rental, until you can afford liability insurance for events.

Can you make the money with the camera you have? Buy whatever tool has the most potential for making money. Is it harder to borrow a camera or a car? If you can let your work pay for your camera setup.

Might be worth a try to trade videoing of a wedding for a car.

Well, you need to weigh up if you can afford the car, plus the registration, plus the insurance, plus the petrol costs.

Personally, I think a car is a better investment, because you can shoot decent things on a 600D, but you can't get anywhere easily without a car (especially if you're living in Bendigo ;))

If you need more dough, shoot some events on the 600D, or borrow/rent from some camera places (there are some cheap rental houses around, even Lemac will do you a pretty decent deal), until you have enough money for both...

I personally think it's easier to buy a car, hire some equipment, and drive to more shoots to make more money to buy a camera if that's what you want, than buy a camera, and have to find a lift or take the train to the shoot

First, you take the chicken over, leaving the fox with the chicken-feed. Then, you return to pick up the fox, but instead of leaving it with the chicken, bring the chicken back, and when you pick up the chicken-feed, drop off the chicken.

Oh, wait...it's not that kind of riddle. I think the solution might be simpler.

Get both a camera (or camera accessories) and a car. Spend less on each than originally planned (hoped).

Well, you need to weigh up if you can afford the car, plus the registration, plus the insurance, plus the petrol costs.

Personally, I think a car is a better investment, because you can shoot decent things on a 600D, but you can't get anywhere easily without a car (especially if you're living in Bendigo ;))

If you need more dough, shoot some events on the 600D, or borrow/rent from some camera places (there are some cheap rental houses around, even Lemac will do you a pretty decent deal), until you have enough money for both...

I personally think it's easier to buy a car, hire some equipment, and drive to more shoots to make more money to buy a camera if that's what you want, than buy a camera, and have to find a lift or take the train to the shoot

I had barely considered hiring actually, probably because I don't know of any hiring places that aren't two hours away (Yep the disadvantages of Bendigo :P)

The main reason I'm hesitant about shooting events on the 600D is because of its 12min capture limit. I know I can immediately record again, but there will always be a few seconds that get missed + zooming on a DSLR is never really that pretty.

It's looking like a car may be the better option. I can budget for petrol through the individual events I film, registration I simply count as part of the bulk price of the car & insurance I'm only going to take out 3rd party

First, you take the chicken over, leaving the fox with the chicken-feed. Then, you return to pick up the fox, but instead of leaving it with the chicken, bring the chicken back, and when you pick up the chicken-feed, drop off the chicken.

Oh, wait...it's not that kind of riddle. I think the solution might be simpler.

Get both a camera (or camera accessories) and a car. Spend less on each than originally planned (hoped).

This would be my very last resort, because I would soon enough have to upgrade both anyway.

I had barely considered hiring actually, probably because I don't know of any hiring places that aren't two hours away (Yep the disadvantages of Bendigo :P)

The main reason I'm hesitant about shooting events on the 600D is because of its 12min capture limit. I know I can immediately record again, but there will always be a few seconds that get missed + zooming on a DSLR is never really that pretty.

It's looking like a car may be the better option. I can budget for petrol through the individual events I film, registration I simply count as part of the bulk price of the car & insurance I'm only going to take out 3rd party

Hi MC - you might be able to get both. The Panasonic GH2 has no capture limit and costs a lot less than the FS100 or the EA50.

You can get a 14-42 and/or a 45-175 power zoom for it if you need smooth zooms.

GH2 prices are probably higher in Australia, but you should be able to afford the camera, a couple of lenses - plus a car. After a few gigs, you can buy your EA50!

Here is what the GH2 can do (with a free firmware hack): https://vimeo.com/37401106

Cheers and good luck with your new business!

Bill

Back