Camera opinions

Got a question.

I only have money to film stuff with consumer-type camcorders, so that's pretty much what I'll be working with. (Unless I ultimately decide to rent a better DV camera from somebody -- depends on cost)

So, with that said, this is what I'm going to try to accomplish:

This is all amateur mind you... Will be filming with cheap equipment, but trying to obtain solid imagery with whatever I got to use. Though I'm using consumer camcorders, I will attempt to avoid the home-video feel by always having the camera "move" in my shots with subtle movements w/ makeshift dolly, lots of close-up shots (these cameras have better picture quality up close than farther away), and in editing I'll try faster, quicker cuts to avoid having the viewer notice the amateur video. I have no experience with lighting, but I'll be trying to use 3-pt lighting techniques with makeshift lighting equipment (clamp lights, etc.), so hopefully I might be able to improve picture quality.

Speaking of picture quality... this is where I need an opinion on camera choice.

What I already have is a JVC GR-DV500u Mini DV Camcorder. I haven't used it much, but it is several years old so picture quality then vs. now, I'm not sure.. I haven't bought a more recent camcorder. All I know it has a CCD sensor, albeit lowest-end, I'm sure.. but that's got to be better than say, a regular camcorder w/o a CCD.

I've been planning on rolling with it, but then I thought... picture quality...

Well what if I decided to go with one of those cheap consumer HD cameras? You know, one of those that goes up to 720p.

What do you guys think? Won't the "HD" look help to improve picture quality, in addition to whatever I can get out of my lighting attempts, shot choice, etc.?

Again, I'm thinking those HD camera moreso for just the picture quality vs. what I can get out of my old camcorder... all of which will be in addition to whatever techniques I employ.

I figure, perhaps if I can snag one with decent features than I can adjust with manually, then maybe it might produce better results than my JVC.

I don't know. Anybody had experience filming with consumer camcorders, both HD and non?

I mean I know that all I need is A camera to do any kind of filming, but just trying to squeeze a little more with what might be within my grasp.

I think your initial concepts is the right one.
Learn to work what you have and you'll have greater knowledge when it comes time to upgrade.

I got into film not too long ago BECAUSE someone gave me an SD camcorder. I picked it up and though, "this could be fun." What got me further interested was a random link into VideoCopilot.net where I watched a couple tutorials and thought.. hey, I could do that! I made a couple what I thought were pretty good looking visual effects (http://www.vimeo.com/7822100) shots and realized that with to days technology, a GOOD LOOKING movie is within my grasps, if I can just do it! Several months later Im obsessed! I just upgraded to HD. Iv been putting together light gear and am now working on audio.

I did a quick check on your camera specs.. its fine. It has manual focus, manual exposure and Mic input. Those are key features of any cam.. Also, its as good and SD camcorder you'll get without spending enough to buy a new canon HD camera.

One thing that will really make a difference is editing. Editing SD from MiniDV is such a pleasure compared to HD. Every time I start to edit HD from my new HD cam, i get this semi-buyers remorse because everything now takes SOO much longer to accomplish.

I know how much getting new equipment can inspire you to use it. So go forward and get your light kit together, sound equipment too.

Also, start working on your first script. And in the mean time do test shooting. Maybe an action sequence, or figure out how to film a reverse dialog. I need to do that, but I cant get my kids to sit still long enough :) Im thinking about seting up a dialog sequence with some stuffed animals, or just random objects, like a toaster and blender.. seems I could at least figure out how to do the over the shoulder, push ins, master shots, etc.:lol:

Also, learn how to get that "shallow DOF" look by moving the camera away from the subject and zooming in. This makes digital video look great. (MUST HAVE TRIPOD!)

Get some filters for your camera, play with ND and Polarizer filters out side.

Get some books..

Three things I learned quickly. I have a similar camcorder type camera, but it applies to all. I learned these things the hard way lol.

White Balance-remember to do it so your "whites" are uniform in the shots. Your Camcorder probably has an auto setting, but sometimes manually works a bit better(I find).

Auto focus isn't always your friend-switch to manual to make sure the things you want in focus are indeed in focus.

Lighting. And you don't need an expensive lighting kit, make sure things are well lit(if using house lights, keep them out of shot lol). I also understand using either "daylight bulbs" or gelling window if using daylight works-though gells can get expensive.

And don't be afraid to experiment-there is no "making mistakes" IMO, rather "I found a way that didn't work" ;).

And have fun. :)

I think I mentioned it in passing, but a TRIPOD is a must. Learning how to BLOCK a shot , where actors come in, where they stand, where they move to, is such a mind opening experience, and is much facilitated with a tripod ROOTING the camera in space. It gives you a place to work from..

I think I mentioned it in passing, but a TRIPOD is a must. Learning how to BLOCK a shot , where actors come in, where they stand, where they move to, is such a mind opening experience, and is much facilitated with a tripod ROOTING the camera in space. It gives you a place to work from..

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've seen short films where someone held the camera, and it doesn't matter how still they stand, the shot still moves. I actually need a new tripod because my current one has a little bit of play that "moves" the camera simply by walking by it lol.

Im thinking about seting up a dialog sequence with some stuffed animals, or just random objects, like a toaster and blender.. seems I could at least figure out how to do the over the shoulder, push ins, master shots, etc.:lol:

Why not do it with just you doing the scene? If you're ok with inanimate objects, I'm sure your acting will be up to snuff. It'd be good practice cloning as well.

I can see part of it I think. Unless you have someone with you, you want to try over the shoulder shots of stuffed animals, ect, so you can get the shot before recording, as opposed to recording the shot, going back and looking at it?

Or are you like me and don't like seeing your face on camera-even in private ;).

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the input folks.

Yeah, I suppose its best to just work with what I got.

I just though the HD option would provide a cheat to image quality to offset my skills, or lackthereof, since I've no lighting and little camera experience.

Besides, the project I'm putting together, in the whole scheme of things, is really small scale. More of a fun thing to "try" than anything.

But its my first on-my-own project and wanted to go balls to the walls with what I can and was hoping the results would be something worthy to put on a reel of my work.

But I digress... I can worry about that later.

Heck, ignore us, its your film. We aint puttin notin on the line, you are!

If you have $1000 and if you don't buy a camera, your going to buy a van of Ben and Jerrys Ice cream, perhaps you should get the camera.. ;)

I can see part of it I think. Unless you have someone with you, you want to try over the shoulder shots of stuffed animals, ect, so you can get the shot before recording, as opposed to recording the shot, going back and looking at it?

Or are you like me and don't like seeing your face on camera-even in private ;).

My face is what it is, Iv gotten used to looking at it, Its my voice I cant stand.. :blush:

My face is what it is, Iv gotten used to looking at it, Its my voice I cant stand.. :blush:

Watching yourself is an acquired taste. I couldn't stand looking at/hearing myself on camera, until the only acting class available was an on-camera one. After taking that, and being forced to watch myself after every exercise (in front of a group no less!), I have a tolerance for it. And it's come in handy as I don't have a built-in cast of family (yet).

That is... unless you talk like Lina Lamont :lol:

I was thinking this same thing today. I do have a decent ability to mimic other voices, so maybe Ill have to try and sound like somebody else, maybe thats why its called acting? I dont know, never done it..

It's interesting that we can buy masks for our faces, but there really isn't anything there to change our voices(other than modulators, which make me sound like Darth Vader's kid).

Going back to the original idea behind the thread, it sounds like you've got something good to start with. As others in the thread have said, work with what you have and just learn and have fun with it.

I use a Canon 930 camcorder, and it works well(though the pro model cameras make me drool...)for what I'm doing. Right now I'm working on a decent lighting kit, which aren't cheap-so I'm using Daylight bulbs in their place.

Back