Camera Help!

Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post!

I am an aspiring filmmaker looking to buy my first professional kit. I want to shoot docu style stuff, as well as guerilla adventure travel stuff. I am looking for a camera that is going to shoot professional quality image, have excellent sound capabilities and be small enough to where I can be very active with it. I do a lot of "to camera testimonial" type stuff when I am out in the field. So the camera would need to be conducive to me whipping it around on the fly. I'm also trying to find a rig that would steady the camera and that I would be able to hold out in front of me to shoot myself. I just did a bunch of shooting with the Canon 5D and while it had a full Redrock kit with it and all of the bells and whistles, it was way to much work to constantly be pulling focus and adjusting light. I need something that will automatically adjust and give me excellent picture and quality. Here is a scenario to give you an idea: I'm driving along a deserted road looking for signs of a cattle drive. I come across a Guacho herding cattle in the distance. I need to jump out of the car and run after him to get the shot, while talking to the camera and then turning camera back to him as I get closer. This is the kind of mobility and freedom I need out of a camera. But I don't want to sacrifice professional quality picture and sound for it.
There are so many cameras out there, that I am really overwhelmed by all of the options. I would hope to not spend more than $3k, but I am open to if it were really a big difference.
Also, if you have ideas for the rig and other gear to go with it, please let me know. Basically think of me as trying to be a "one man band". I want to be able to shoot, record sound, light etc and not rely on anyone else. I know filmmaking is collaborative, but for this certain project I am doing, it involves me alone in the wild. So please please help me out friends. I am so grateful for your tips and insight!

Thanks a bunch!

For your specific needs I suggest an ENG camera - the type people use to
shoot for news stations.

My suggestion is the JVC GY-HM600U. The next step down in price is the
JVC GY-HM150U. Excellent on the go audio and being used by photojournalists.
I have used that camera on "The Amazing Race"

Ross - If you don't mind losing the 5D's "cinematic shallow depth of field" - I would get the $1999 Sony HDR-NX30U with its amazing balanced optical steady shot, which makes handheld look like it was shot with a Steadicam:

https://vimeo.com/39824407
https://vimeo.com/39906221

If you need something closer to the 5D's large sensor "shallow DOF" look without the hassle of the follow focus or the Redrock rig, you may want to take a look at the just-released $3600 Sony NEX-EA50. Even though it is a little above your price target, it has an APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, a built in shoulder mount and an autofocusing power zoom to make it a true run & gun camera.

Here is the promo video with some examples shot with the EA50: https://vimeo.com/47646612

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that sound is not optimal if the mic is camera mounted.

The big problem is that there is no one mic suitable for every purpose.

For run-and-gun with a camera mounted mic you should consider a mic like the Audio Technica AT4053b hypercardioid. I've heard good things about the Audix SCX1/HC, but have no personal experience with it. A hypercardioid will give you wider range than a shotgun mic at the price of more background noise, but it is a sacrifice you will have to pay if the mic will be camera mounted. You will most definitely need full wind protection (a blimp and a dead cat cover) as well as a very good shock-mount.

If the only audio you will be capturing is ambient sound - no speech whatsoever - you may want to consider a stereo mic.

For sit-down interviews you will want to consider at least one lav, preferably two, and perhaps a basic mixer depending upon the audio capabilities of the camera.

If you go with a DSLR you will most definitely need an audio recorder; the audio capabilities of DSLR cameras are quite substandard.

Back