Camera for a documentary on a budget

I'm about to start my first (and possibly last) documentary. The budget comes from my own pocket, and being retired (from Israel), it is extremely tight. Full HD is mandatory. I'll use only manual focus.

I own Canon 7D and few zoom lenses.
For best image quality (within my tight budget), my options are: Stay with the Canon 7D; purchase a second Canon body, like 60D; purchase the Panasonic GH2 with its' kit lens (14-42); purchase the Canon Vixia HF G20.
What are your recommendations?

P.S,
The film will be straight documentary in part, and docu-drama in part.
The film would probably be broadcasted on local HD TV, possibly also on cinemateque theaters. So the technical quality should be adequate.

Thanks.
Any recommendations for audio equipment and lenses?

P.S,
The film will be straight documentary in part, and docu-drama in part.
The film would probably be broadcasted on local HD TV, possibly also on cinemateque theaters. So the technical quality should be adequate.

I can't help you with audio, but some audio people on here could probably give you some recommendations.

What's your budget?

Right now, very little, only for purchasing the mandatory equipment I cannot rent.
When the first part will be done (strictly documentary, 1 on1 interviews), possibly budget will come from local organizations supporting documentaries.

Canon 24-105mm:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397662-USA/Canon_0344B002AA_24_105mm_f_4L_IS_USM.html

Sigma 30mm:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381615-REG/Sigma_300101_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html

Rokinon 14mm:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

I'll use an external sound recorder, possibly the Zoom H4n. Thus, my question is strictly for image quality... The film would probably be broadcasted on local HD TV, possibly also on cinemateque theaters.

The Zoom H4n does not record in Dolby Digital nor in a format suitable for cinema. So, you are going to need more audio equipment (and knowledge) than just a H4n. Thus, if your question is strictly about image quality you either already know a considerable amount about audio or you will be making a documentary which cannot be broadcast on HDTV or screened in most cinemas!

It's obvious you are a photographer. Unfortunately, like it or not, there is more to making a broadcastable HDTV documentary than choosing a budget camera which will give you nice quality images.

G

Thanks.
My knowledge and (far past) experience with audio is better that in photography and cinematography. I worked for 10 years as a maintenance engineer and sound engineer in Israeli Broadcasting Service. In movies I worked only as an assistant director and cinematographer (in documentaries). However all that was many years ago. What I'm not familiar with is are the current equipment, standards and practices. Thanks to your reply, now I know the H4n isn't suitable. I have some more questions concerning audio, which I'll post on the appropriate forum.

The H4n is a prosumer unit, so it's not good quality but it might be good enough for recording your dialogue, interviews, etc, paired with a decent mic or two (and someone who know how to boom) and preferably a decent mixer. Your difficulty will then be how to take what you've recorded on your H4n and turn it into a mix/audio format suitable for HDTV broadcast and/or cinema.

G

Hello new dude :cool:

I'd stay with the 7D and invest in good audio equipment and glass.

Thanks again.
Please let me elaborate my considerations and struggle.

The documentary I have in mind is based on a magnificent story, that sounds like a fairly tale, thou it's a true one, told by a retired army general. Because of the story is so good, it has potential for screening on festivals (should it be well executed).

It would have two parts.
One part will be straight interviews (or testimonies) by some of the characters involved in the story.
The second part will be a docu-drama, where actors will represent parts of the chain of events. It will probably be shot in a studio.

Right now there is almost zero budget. It all come from my pocket, which is almost empty these days. My plan is to shoot first the interviews part, which can be done with my meager budget. With the video of the interviews and a full script, I may well get a budget from local organizations supporting documentaries.

Yet, shooting the interviews should be fully professional, suitable for HD TV and festivals screening. This is because of the main story teller is approaching 90 years old, so the final shooting of the main interview would better be done on the coming weeks.

Coming back to the camera question.
I can rent gear and I can use my Canon 7D with some good lenses.
1. Is the technical image quality of the 7D good enough for the intended purpose?
2. Is there a better camera recommended, to be rented?

What type of documentary and what are your sound needs? Sit down interviews? Nature recording? Run & gun? Each situation has it's own unique requirements. Once I have a DETAILED answer I can make specific recommendations.

... the story is so good, it has potential for screening on festivals (should it be well executed).

Yet, shooting the interviews should be fully professional, suitable for HD TV and festivals screening.

I can rent gear and I can use my Canon 7D with some good lenses.
1. Is the technical image quality of the 7D good enough for the intended purpose? Yes.
2. Is there a better camera recommended, to be rented? No. The 7D is fine.
You should spend some time researching the names and submission deadlines of the festivals you legitimately believe would exhibit this documentary.
Determine if you can shoot and edit this before their deadlines.
Then research the films, docs + narratives + shorts, that those festivals did show last year and the year before and see what cameras were used.
It'll take some light work on your behalf.
And likely you'll end up noticing that the images your 7D can capture are just fine.

It's the audio that's gonna kill your festival submission, not the images.
Overwhelmingly, audio is the numero uno festival submission killer.

Contact the festival directors and see if they can provide a spec sheet.
That'll solve 90% of your problems.

The merit of the story and its execution are irrelevant if no one is going to watch it because no one's even going to hear it because the audio sux.

Last edited:
Back