Camera for a beginning filmmaker in college?

I'm about to finish my first year as a film major at my university, and my classes have gotten pretty hands on, and I'd like to purchase my own camera. I'd like a camera that will give me good quality, professional footage for my short films. Would a dslr be better than a camcorder? any suggestions?

"Good quality, professional footage" comes from the operation of the camera, not the camera itself.

DLSR is a headache. Want that complication while you're trying to pass your classes?

Good luck.

On a more serious note, what's your budget and intended use? If you're talking under $5,000 DSLRs will generally give far better video quality than a camcorder. It has limitations, but there's a reason high budgeted shows like House and films like Black Swan have chosen to use them. DSLRs will generally require recording audio separately, but at a certain point all productions record audio separately.

If you have a larger budget, I'd suggest looking at something like the FS100. Or, if you can afford to go completely pro the Red Scarlet or Canon C300 would make you the most popular kid at school. They're pricy, but they can also pay for themselves. A Red Scarlet kit can rent for $500+ a day; that means you can have it paid off in a year of periodic rentals. When it's not rented out, you'd have the ability to shoot true cinema-quality video.

Starting a small rental business would take some work and startup money, but if you're serious about being in this industry it might be worth it.

Panasonic GH2 or Canon T2i are most popular around here if you're going to be shooting film school quality material.

I'm surprised after a year of film school your hands-on instructors don't have a weigh-in on the subject.

If DSLR is a headache, shooting film or using a pro cam like a Red or an Alexa must be like having cancer.

This is very, very true.

I would never recommend RED or the Alexa to a beginning
filmmaker making short films. I many cases a first camera
should not even be a DSLR. Without the proper accessories
shooting with a DSLR is quite a headache - the shallow DOF
everyone is so excited about causes problems with focus and
the poor audio means an audio recorder is essential.

Someone about to finish their first year as a film major at a
university may need a DSLR. They may very well do well with
a RED. Or they may do better with a more traditional camera
like the Canon XF105, the JVC HN150 or even the Sony NEX-VG20.
These are sometimes the better choice.

I'd like to stay under $2,000 for now, if that's possible.

I'm a beginner, and I've got a Panasonic GH1 with some vintage lenses. I'd used DSLRs for photography before, but was by no means an expert with them. I love my GH1 and have found that there's been almost no learning curve (if you've ever used a manual camera, you'll probably have a similar experience). I'm really happy with it. I hacked it (easier than it sounds if you can follow the instructions) and get great footage without too much hassle.

In your budget range, I'd get a GH2 (which is a big improvement on the GH1 and around $900 with the kit lens), some vintage glass, and a separate audio setup.

KISS Keep It Simple Silly .... a Canon VIXIA HF S30 or the like that shoots 24p natively and some sound gear would get you more bang for the buck IMO. With a DSLR you would need lenses and that ain't cheap. W/ a camcorder, you could better focus more on technique and camera moves. You will also see that having more money for basic sound tools will help you make a better finished product. A good mic, a good recorder, some Lavs and then focus on getting good product and mastering technique is my 2 cents worth anyhoo.... GOOD LUCK

Everyone makes a great point here.

So now all you have to do is figure out what do you want to concentrate on the most at first. You can always upgrade afterwards to compensate for what you don't have.

If you want to start out concentrating on just Directing actors, and won't be concentrating on lighting. Start researching IndieBudget's perspective. Get a cheap Hard Drive HD camera. A good sound kit: Boom pole, headphones, mic. and wireless. Start working with small scripts and work your way up.

By the time school ends you may be ready to get your next camera or already know a guy that is more interested in Cinematography. He might already be getting a large kit and can help shoot a lot of your projects...

But if you want to start out concentrating on composition, lighting, and movement. Then I'd say go the DSLR route. Invest in lens and cheap gorilla lighting techniques.
*** If you dig racking focus then getting the above kit is not for you… getting a DSLR will be****
When I started out I wanted nothing to do with talking to actors and sound on set :) so I shot silent shorts.

I started outside (learning Depth of field, camera placement, and movement) at first. Then I graduated to the inside to learn lighting, color and re-learn everything else.

So here is the short version… Do you want to direct or be a DP by the end of film school…Once you know that then pick which tool you want to learn.

Back