Camera, editing, and equipment

Ok i know i shouldn't really be calling myself a film maker but i want to start making short comical clips to go on youtube, i'm not looking for a big proper camera or anything just a little one. I got an apple laptop so i need editing software that runs on mac. this may sound stupid but is there any software that is under about $300, £150, which i could use to add 'tacky special effects' and some graphics?? for example flashes coming from end of guns, or is that just basic stuff. also if i were to use voice overs alot what microphone would i need.

please answer my newbie questions don't worry about advice about the camera, just what type, hard drive ones sound easyiest to me

iMovie comes with every Mac and is great software for editing movies. It even
has some effects you can add.

For voice overs you can use the mic that comes with your camera. If you are
close to the mic you can actually get a pretty good sounding voice over.

In the $1,000 and under range all cameras are pretty much the same. A Sony
is like a Sharp is like a Canon is like a Panasonic is like Samsung. You can go to
any Best Buy and pick up a camera in that price range and you won’t be able
to tell the difference. And any of them will be fine for short comical clips for
YouTube. If a hard drive camera seems easiest to you, then a hard drive camera
will be just fine.

For voice overs you can use the mic that comes with your camera. If you are
close to the mic you can actually get a pretty good sounding voice over.

This was interesting about the mic. I just got a Canon HV30, and then bought Vegas Plat 8.0. I am brand new, and was wondering how I would manage to do narration on my first film project. My idea actually was to use this directional mic I bought that plugs into the jack on my Canon, and just film a wall or something while I talk into it, and then take the sound portion only from that take and use it to replace or supplement the sound in the visual event plane which I intend to narrate.

Is that what you mean, Directorik?

Thanks
Nick

In terms of effects software on a budget... you probably meant something like effectslab-pro

Personally, I think it'll be a better long term investment to learn how to cut in final cut express... and get some cheap plugins for your tacky effects.

However, if you're looking for a cheap, easy comp and particle system at $129 effects lab pro is pretty cool.

So, cut in imovie... comp and effects in effects lab... the perfect set up for Youtudbe production.

But, if you intend to progress further than that... FCE is going to introduce you to real editing. Steep learning curve on it though... it's not "plug and play" software...it's a real NLE

This was interesting about the mic. I just got a Canon HV30, and then bought Vegas Plat 8.0. I am brand new, and was wondering how I would manage to do narration on my first film project. My idea actually was to use this directional mic I bought that plugs into the jack on my Canon, and just film a wall or something while I talk into it, and then take the sound portion only from that take and use it to replace or supplement the sound in the visual event plane which I intend to narrate.

Is that what you mean, Directorik?

Thanks
Nick

This is exactly how I've done it so far. It's cheaper then buying a DAT for the true No-Budget filmmaker. You just grab a miniDV for a couple bucks, film whatever, record the sound....transfer and then either turn off the visual channel, or pull out the audio and just use it...simple as pie.

I've used this method for voiceovers, commentaries, special effects, etc......I'm sure it's the worst method available, but if you're low on cash......

Back