• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera confusion

I know this has been gone over before, and I don't have a weird allergy to the search button, but I wonder if I could ask for advice based on my specific project?

Yesterday I finished the first draft of my script Tempus Redux. It was actually a really proud moment for me, because it's now out of my head and into something that will live or die by itself - ANYWAY...

We're filming it this Summer - and I keep assuring people that I mean that very literally - that come may may, Hell or high water, this Summer, this film gets made.

It's not a 'difficult' film to make - it's based largely around dialogue, couple of chases, couple of fights, etc, but nothing expensive or complex. My biggest concern finance-wise is more location, in that there's quite a lot in a hospital, but not problematically so.

'Success', I guess, is not going to be theatrical distribution - I just really don't think it's that kind of film, but domestic distribution straight to DVD would be success for me.

I work in a theatre company so have access to great talent, all of whom are happy to work for free, and points of the result. I'll work with a really small crew.

My thinking about what to shoot on has gone through several incarnations. Forgive me for putting all prices here in pounds sterling.

#1 I thought about getting a Canon XL1 on ebay for about £800. This represents a hell of a chunk of my budget. And it's not Hi Def (don't know how much that matters) and it's still not got XLR inputs, so I guess I'm still going to need a JuicedLink

#2 Saw footage from an HV40 and thought, "That's great!" Can get one for about £550, needs a JuicedLink, started to think, "It's not the camera, it's what you do with it that counts."

Then I read a book by Mike Figgis, who just said, "Just make the movie. Don't get bogged down in what you shoot on. Just make the movie."

So I thought...

#3 Borrow my mates Sony HDR-XR520VE. Part of resists the idea of trying to do what I'm trying to do on a Camcorder, but equally I know Mike Figgis would have no time for that argument. So this way, it would be free, and I could put the money somewhere else into the film.

Now, I find myself questioning whether Hi Def is that important if it's not really targetted at theatrical release, and whether there's less sniffiness from distributors when they ask what it was shot on if I say XL1.

In terms of renting, I think it's at least a 3 week shoot, and therefore renting even something fairly cheap is going to run me £750. Will I really see the benfit?

Any thoughts, or any alternatives, gratefully received.

Cheers all

You will be happy with the XL1.

The HV40 is a fine but quite small camera. With
the proper lighting, audio and script you can end
up with a good movie using that camera.

Borrowing the Sony would save you a lot of money,
involve your mate (which could be very helpful)
and it's a fine camera. The most important aspect
(as Figgis was saying) is lighting, audio, script and
talent.

I think shooting HD is better but an excellent, well
written, well shot, well acted movie with perfect
audio shot on SD will have a chance, too.

Get an aspiring DP with his or her own camera. Maybe a student or someone trying to make a name for themselves and needs good work for there reel. Use forums or networking websites to get in touch with like-minded people in your area. Collaboration is beautiful thing.

I thought about getting a Canon XL1 on ebay for about £800.

Do not get an XL1 - they are worthless.

You will get a much better picture quality from even a lower end HD camera. They are 12 years old and are even low quality for an SD camera.

I agree with the above poster - involve a DP who has a camera and is looking for a film to shoot.

Spend the money on lighting & art department. Oh.......and don't forget to feed the crew well - it will make the shoot a lot better :)

Back