Camera and other questions

I have between 700-900 dollars to spend for a camera, what's the best for my buck, or would it be best to save a bit more for a camera, I am seeing alot about the canon 550d t2i. I will be using the camera to make short films. What else would you recommend I look into buying? I understand sound, and lighting is critical. Also any ideas about lenses. I will probably be using final cut studio for editing. Thanks

well I got this Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. for starters, gonna look into other lenses as I get more of a feel for the camera and what I want. I have been reading about the t2i's having issues with FCP. this is kind of a bummer but I hear its not hard to convert.

what memory card would you suggest I get for the T2i? I have looked at a few options but was wondering what everyone thinks would be best for its buck or just what the best one is and if it is worth buying?

I got a used T2i w/ the 18-55 lens for $650 from Adorama. Im very pleased w/ it.... Don't forget Canon has a customer loyalty program where you send them in a broken camera and you can get a great deal on a refurbished Canon.

I also got a great deal on some used lenses from Adorama, I got a 135mm Contax for $120, they also sell Phoenix lenses new for Contax/Yashica ... I got a 24mm for $79 and a 28-210 for $129

Memory card, Im using Transcend class 10 32gb and a 16gb. they work well for me.

I edit my T2i stuff w/o any transcoding on Linux using Cinelerra << not for the weak, but I like it. Cinelerra will do compositing, chroma-keying and much, much more. You can do 5.1 or whatever you want for sound. Blender is a decent tool as ell. It has node based compositing, detailed color correction tools and of course #d animation and effects. Good news, Cinelerra, Blender and Ubuntu are free, just not for everybody. Lots of support in the community.

Last edited:
I agree on the class 10 cards, flawless performance. A good tripod is definetely a subjectve decision. Balancing performance and cost, I ended up with a Manfrotto 504HD head (as a former news photog, I've used some of the best and this one is pretty darn good) and Manfrotto 546B sticks that were a B&H kit and came with a nice bag. You'll find that people will be very loyal to their brand so it's hard to get legit recommendations concerning tripods. Professional reviews are the most helpful in my opinion.

thats a expensive tripod, wish I could afford one like that....I have been looking around the internet and Manfrotto seems like a good brand

It's actually middle of the road and some of their lower end stuff is junk. This is an expensive hobby/profession, no doubt.

Some of the cheaper heads are not the smoothest and can lead to frustration, but on the other hand, will make you appreciate a quality head down the road. I have a 501 head that I pretty much only use locked down which is a waste of money when you think about it.

With that in mind, check out the ball head kits on lighter sticks. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718583-REG/Manfrotto_055XB_Tripod_Legs_Kit.html

Next to camera, Tripod is maybe the most expensive single piece of gear. You have to spend $300 to get something even remotely usable, and if you want something you're really happy with double or triple that.

Need and want are going to be different things.

Things I've bought since my 550D: Zoom H4N, Rode NTG-2, iMac, Final Cut Studio, additional macro lens (mistake), XLR cable 10m, additional battery, work lights, reflector, headphones, boom pole.

So yes, it's been an expensive undertaking.

Things I'd still like: Better lighting kit, hypercardioid mic, 50mm prime lens, stabiliser, shoulder mount... one of them Redrock rigs...etc.

as of now I have the 550d, 18-55mm lens, iMac, FCP, looking to get additional battery and memory card probably 16 g class 10, then I want to invest in good tripod, and another lens. lights and sound equipment is another need though. Not sure what I should get first. Maybe sound equipment since the mic on the 550d is shit. tough decisions. tax season should help me though, stoked on that

take a look at the Davis and sanford 7518 tripod. probably the best bang for the buck for a tripod. the head is very usable compared to almost anything at that price range. and it looks beast.

as of now I have the 550d, 18-55mm lens, iMac, FCP, looking to get additional battery and memory card probably 16 g class 10, then I want to invest in good tripod, and another lens. lights and sound equipment is another need though. Not sure what I should get first. Maybe sound equipment since the mic on the 550d is shit. tough decisions. tax season should help me though, stoked on that

Just my opinion, but a good tripod is at least 1 through 3 on your list. Good luck and make sure you have fun with this no matter what grumpy posters like me have to add. :grumpy:

It's the journey that you'll tell people about. :yes:

Everyone agrees about the Transcend class 10 16-32 gig memory card being my best bet? not sure if I should buy two 16 gigs or a 16 gig and a 32 gig. Is there anything else I will need to upload video footage to my iMac, like a card reader or any cords? I will be using FCP. Any recommendations for HDMI cords? thanks for all the help I really appreciate it a ton. I am a complete noob haha.

For sure tripod is probably the first purchase I will make after I get the memory cards and HDMI cord.

Last edited:
Back