Camcorder as good as t2i

Im in the market for a camcorder as good or better than my t2i for moving shots chase scene's etc. anyone know of any that would fit well in the production with a t2i?

lol ok sorry i wasnt really sure how too word that. I meant not a DSLR like a handy cam? i guess i need something better for low light and fast follow motion so the footage doesnt blur when you move suddenly. if that makes any sense

i just thought maybe there was an alternative when paning the t2i too fast you get a blur due to shutter speed. on the handy cam ive been told that wasnt an issue. Now i wouldnt be suprised if that was a false statement but i figured to run the idea on the forums here and get a fresh perspective

You're talking about the "rolling shutter" aka "Jello effect" that DSLRs tend to have.

Have you actually experimented with yout t2i to see how much you abuse it before this starts to happen? It would be much cheaper to compose your required shots to take the issue into account, as opposed to buying another camera... especially as a $400 camcorder won't be giving you any lens choices or other features that DSLR's tend to have.

Ive experimented a bit and its not terrible nothing i cant work around for projects im involved in at the moment. I was thinking for future projects and ive been wanting to do a car chase which i will be testing the t2i with tomorrow. and rolling shutter thats it thank you

If you are indeed talking about the rolling shutter issue, it is an issue prevalent in CMOS sensors (not just DSLRs). This means the majority of modern cameras have the issue to some extent, though Alexa's and Epic's employ technology and higher quality sensors to make it less of an issue.

You'll find similar levels of rolling shutter in handycams as well.

There used to be a great little video (I think it was on the Panasonic website) about minimizing rolling shutter by changing the way in which you shoot your footage. I'm sure I've posted the link in the past, can't seem to find it now though.

Someone else must remember it... In the example, they were filming gokarts, and showing how by varying the focal length, and panning directions, etc you could minimize and/or eliminate rolling shutter.

EDIT:

Found it!
http://blog.jag35.com/new/blog/dealing-with-rolling-shutter/

As I thought, it was a promo video for the Panasonic AG-HPX300 (first video in the playlist).. the relevant info starts around 1:50 into the clip. Techniques shown will apply to any CMOS camera.

Last edited:
Ace - jax is right, rolling shutter is a fact of life for CMOS sensors. The only way to get around it is to spend big money on a camera with a 3CCD sensor (as found in the $2400 JVC GY-HM150).

But to get a small sensor camcorder to match the shallow depth of field of your DSLR and use your Canon lenses, you'll need to go back to the bad old days of the Letus 35 adapter with a Canon EOS mount.

Here is how well the GY-HM150's predecessor, the GY-HM100, intercuts with a T2i/550D:

https://vimeo.com/15708509

That said, it is probably easier to simply adjust your shooting style, as Will suggests :)

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back