• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camcorder Add-on Lights?

So I have a Sony DCR-TRV33 I make films with (until I save enough for a serious camera). I was wondering if adding a light on the camcorder would make a noticeable difference in how the shots looked? Would using something like this be more conventional for medium/ close shots? Also how do I go about finding one? Any help/ advise would be great thanks! :D

So I have a Sony DCR-TRV33 I make films with (until I save enough for a serious camera). I was wondering if adding a light on the camcorder would make a noticeable difference in how the shots looked? Would using something like this be more conventional for medium/ close shots? Also how do I go about finding one? Any help/ advise would be great thanks! :D

You don't need a light on the camcorder but you do need to add lights to make your
shots look better. Even a couple of “scoop lights” - those clamp on work lights with the silver
reflector can make a big difference.

Pick up a couple of paper lanterns. I hook each one to a dimmer (home improvement) to get
better control of the light and they are great for close ups and filling shadows.

Good lighting isn't about blasting the actors with light - like a camera light would - it's about
lighting everything. The actors and the back ground need different amounts of light. Pick up
a few pieces of Foamcore from any art supply store to use to bounce the light and some
colored gels and some black wrap for more control of the lights. If there is a small theater
in your town they often have extras.

There are several post here about how to light you video to make it look more professional.
You should check them out.

Back