Buying a new Desktop to edit film.

Can someone tell me if the computer Im interested in is strong enough? I have Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate. The following is the software requirements. And the desktop specs below that.

Internet connection required for installation, registration and updates. Registration required for product use.

Windows 10 recommended, Windows 8.x, Windows 7, 64-bit OS highly recommended.

Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz, Core i3 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz or higher.

Intel Core i5 or i7 1.06 GHz or higher required for AVCHD and Intel Quick Sync Video support.

Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon X4 or higher for UHD, Multi-Camera or 360 video.

2 GB of RAM or higher, min. 4 GB for Windows 64-bit, 8+GB highly recommended for UHD, Multi-Camera, or 360 video.

DirectX 9 (or higher) graphics device with Pixel Shader 3.0 support like:

NVIDIA GeForce 6 series or higher (CUDA enabled required for CUDA support).

ATI X1000 series or higher.

Intel GMA X3000 series or higher.

HEVC (H.265) support requires supporting PC hardware or graphics card.

128 MB VGA VRAM.

Display resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher.

Windows-compatible sound card (multi-channel output required for surround preview).

8 GB HDD space for full installation.

Accessories:

DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD discs.

Input Options:

Capture from DV, HDV and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs (requires a FireWire port).

Capture from analog camcorders, 8mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) (requires Dazzle video hardware – sold separately).

Import from AVCHD and other file based camcorders, digital still cameras, mobile devices and webcams.

Import Formats:

Video: MVC, AVCHD, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1/-2/-4, DivX, Flash, 3GP (MPEG-4, H.263), WMV, Non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), MOV (DV, MPEG-4, H.264), HEVC (H.265), DivX Plus MKV, XAVC, MXF, DVCPRO HD, XAVC S.

Audio: MP3, MPA, M4A, WAV, AMR, AC3, AAC, Vorbis, WMA.

Graphic: JPS, BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K.

Export Formats:

AVCHD, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, dual layer).

Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad/TV, Sony PSP/PS3/PS4, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox compatible formats.

DV, HDV, AVI, DivX, WMV, MPEG-1/-2/-4, Flash, 3GP, WAV, MP2, MP3, MP4, HEVC (H.265, H.264), DivX Plus MKV, JPEG, TIF, TGA, BMP, XAVC S.

Dolby Digital 5.1-channel.

Blu-ray Support:

Requires purchase of a separate plug-in from within the product.

Requires Blu-ray Disc reader and/or burner.

Supported Languages:

Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.

This is the desktop specs:

windows 10, Intel core i5. HD 250gb. Ram 8gb
Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics Form Factor: Small Form Factor (SFF)
Processor Speed: 3.10GHz Hardware Connectivity: DisplayPort, VGA, USB 2.0
Features: VGA, DisplayPort, 10 USB 2.0 Ports, Windows 10

I am also concerned about the integrated gaphics card, should I be?

Are you planning to hook up all those cameras to your computer? How did you end up with USB 2 with a computer like that? It should have USB 3. You should be okay with your existing computer, if you are only using one camera and plugging in SD cards into an SD slot. An Intel i5 is better than an Intel i3 any day of the week. Sounds like you have enough RAM and hard drive space.

#AllGeneralizationsAreFalse

It all depends on how the software uses the hardware.

As for the CPU, it depends on how the software utilizes the cores to what's the best. Take Premiere Pro for example. It uses the first 4 cores efficiently, cores 5 and 6 so so, but the rest it wastes, so an i7 8700k with 6 fast cores performs better than an i9 for lots of slower cores.

Also take Resolve. It offloads as much of the grunt work to the video card but it also uses as many cores as you can throw at it. Without a good video card, it runs like a dog.

Editing technology is evolving. There is a move towards software using the video card more and more.

Now, who is oversimplifying the rendering? In the article, more factors are examined, such as the amount of layers being rendered, pre-rendering vs. rendering from scratch
On the hardware end, the CPU, amount of memory, type of hard drive, and video card all factor into rendering video.

I posted this article on a few filmmaker and video editing groups on FB. The most popular factor for faster rendering is the type of hard drive, namely the SSD hard drive gives the best performance for rendering video with various video editing programs. Then, there’s the way the video editing software is written with video cards and CPUs with the most cores. Sweetie is right about the changing market. However, filmmakers and editors are recommending the SSD drive for best rendering performance.

I posted this article on a few filmmaker and video editing groups on FB. The most popular factor for faster rendering is the type of hard drive

Because being popular on Facebook always derives the best answer... for example the millions of people boycotting Steven Spielberg films due to him hunting a dinosaur, almost to extinction.

Now, who is oversimplifying the rendering?
It all depends on how the software uses the hardware.

I'm not sure why you think that is simple.

The best way to increase performance and render times is to identify and deal with bottlenecks. The issue with those bottlenecks, there are many factors and they can also be hard to identify, not to mention, occasionally quirky.

However, filmmakers and editors are recommending the SSD drive for best rendering performance.

You do understand that most modern mechanical drives suitable for editing can can sustain enough throughput to handle the majority of media right?

Back