Bullet hits: Digital vs on location

What do you guys think looks better, and how do you do them? I personally look back to action classics like The Killer and Hardboiled, where they did all the squibs where they were, and then look at newer movies like The Expendables where it looks like it is all digital. I prefer the old fashioned squibs, but did they really do it with the blood filled condom on a mini firecracker?

There are current SPECIAL FX (not computer based VISUAL FX) that are much easier. They have paintball squibs now, spark hits and dust hits. The problem is the locations and causing real life damage which most property owners frown upon. Even with built sets, you can only do 1 take, then it takes hours to re-drywall and replace it and that costs $$$ for a lot of people to stand around and wait.

It's a cost effective/convenience factor.

Yup, practical is almost always better than digital, and practical enhanced by digital is the very best. Paying a few guys to sit in front of computers and add in VFX usually costs less than building and tearing down sets, hiring a pyrotechnician and effecs supervisor/team and permitting and insurance for explosions and squibs.

But look at what the guys do when they can afford it. Nolan blew up a building and flipped a semi in real life for Dark Knight and flooded a real room and built two rotating sets for dream sequences in Inception.

Good point. Its not like we have 20 of the same outfit haha. I've never even heard of a paintball squib before, how do those work?

Paul - Too bad not all of us have the Inception budget :(

Nolan blew up a building and flipped a semi in real life for Dark Knight and flooded a real room and built two rotating sets for dream sequences in Inception.

I thought the semi truck as a miniature on THE DARK KNIGHT....

Dark-Knight-truck-miniature.jpg

Most of that sequence was actually miniatures, not full size from the street to the tunnel.

I've never even heard of a paintball squib before, how do those work?

You load the balls into a paintball gun, then pull the trigger. :D They are like paintballs, that they are the exact same size, but they are either dust hits or spark hits. They work amazingly well too.

Garbage truck was miniature, bit the 18 Wheeler Joker was driving that hit the cable stretched across the street and flipped head over heels, what was the real deal. They tried it to se if it was possible, it was, so they did it again on set. They did it twice haha.

They are called Sweeney Balls. They are like paintballs, but filled with colored dust or zirconium (for sparks). The balls are actually larger than regular paintballs so you either have to rent the gun and buy the balls ($1.25-$3.00 each last I remember) or make your own.

We've used them, they're pretty cool.

Can't shoot people though, they're a thicker hard plastic shell vs a normal paintball.

If you can find maroon or red paintballs and a willing actor...

Can't shoot people though, they're a thicker hard plastic shell vs a normal paintball.

Speaking from experience?? :lol:

I always use DFX for guns and bullets.
For example, I find it much easier to add a flash and flare in post with MuzzleFlash Elite (http://vfxlobby.com/products/muzzle-flash-elite/) than to try and co-ordinate on the set.
It takes a bit of practice to get it looking "real", but I think the savings in both time and money are worth it.

Only downside is if you're using talent who haven't used a weapon before - you might have to do some smart editing to make it natural.

Last edited:
Honestly with the tech nowadays its hard to say, but I would go with squibs, there is still nothing like the realness of them.

Blood Hits = dangerous

Dusk / Spark hits are great.

we used the blood hits for this shoot (wish we used squibs)
nick-albums-latest-movie-picture124-img-0002.jpg

and yes I know squibs are dangerous as well :)

Back