Budgeted Audio Recorder?

Recently I've been doing a lot of narrations, etc., and if I record audio w/ video (on camera or connecting shotgun mic) I know it takes up a lot more memory on my computer (because of video, too). I connected my shotgun to the computer via the red mic input (and xlr converter, aka pearstone impeadence matcher) but that audio is recorded so quietly. I was looking at maybe getting a usb mic since most audio recorders are expensive, but then I had another idea.
What about the recorders that can be plugged in via the red mic input? (example at the link below). It seems you can get a decent one for a lot cheaper than items such as the zoom recorders (or ones w/ direct xlr inputs). I'm sure the quality might not be quite as fantastic, but it should still be fairly decent, right? Thoughts?

I thought it could also help if I was in a situation while filming something where it would be easier to record audio this way instead of directly to my camcorder.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-PX82...E5BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293746802&sr=8-1

I've used something similar to that and the quality will be no better than straight into your camera, probably a bit worse actually. They're designed as dictaphones, so all they need to do is playback speech, rather than record crystal clear audio.

As a Christmas present I received the Zoom H4N, which, I think, is considered to be the best value audio recorder for its sound quality. But other people on here know more about the subject, these are just my thoughts.

If that is all you can afford then go for it ! It will be better than the on cam mic cuz you can get it closer to the actor's mouth. It will not be ideal, but functional as you learn. Heck it can easily be placed in a shirt pocket and might work like that. Rig it to a broom stick and you are Hollywood'ing it !

I shot a scene on the side of the road using a boom that was a little too far away from the actor's mouth and they were using a Kodak Zix cam in the scene and the mic in the Zix was better in some spots than the shotgun hooked to my Zoom H4n.

HOWEVER, as you go & grow a Zoom H4n is the least you want to get quality audio. The pros use much better eqt than that.

Good Luck & have fun !

If you want to record directly into the computer on the cheap a USB mic is the way to go. The Blue Snowball is currently the best bang-for-the-buck at about $100.

When it comes to audio it's all about knowledge and technique - knowing mic/equipment selection, gain-staging, signal chain, etc. and the proper mic/boom technique and, when it comes to VO, vocal technique.

Back