• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Brain storming the best solution for a spaceship interior

I cannot find an interior that will work with my greenscreen set for a spaceship interior. There's nothing available that is round or elliptical like the bridge of a ship on Star Trek.

My only idea I can think of is trash what I have and use an energy glow for the background.

Any other suggestions?

Or even build a miniature set. Star Wars episodes 1, 2 and 3 combined large miniatures with greenscreen sets to create cities. (And they added more stuff in the background digitally, but that is not important here.)

It probably is a lot of work, but a set that is like 3 feet high and 6 feet wide plus a depth that corresponds might be large enough for detail and camera positions, yet small enough to light it.

That would work. Problem is space is in short supply for a six foot model. I should be able to pull it off. I had two years of architecture in college where I had to make floor plans and elevations and build models with balsa wood and chip board.

By screwed I mean short of building a set or designing your own 3d model as a greenscreen background (both amount to about the same amount of work) there isn't much to work with beyond the minimalist stuff

You live in NY man. I can think of a bunch of dome, circular, modern rooms etc. that could be transformed.

With some work you could make various locations work from museum to office space to hotel...

Make it works man!

Attachments

• guggenheim.jpg
    guggenheim.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 145
  • guggenheim2.jpg
    guggenheim2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 165
  • metroplolitan.jpg
    metroplolitan.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 33_bond.jpg
    33_bond.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 138
  • tf_cornerstone.jpg
    tf_cornerstone.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 164
Jericho Terrrace on LI. They rent it out for weddings. Book it and setdress into spaceship.

Attachments

• jericho_terrace.jpg
    jericho_terrace.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 125
Just thinkin’... low-budget practical can look a helluva lot better than low-budget CGI on low-budget chromakey.

yep.

But he shot the greenscreen scenes already years ago.
So I think the best comprimise might be chromokey into a practicle set.

But that Daz software looks cool, although I expect a huge learning curve to get realistic results.
(I took Maya classes in artschool. In 1 year and over 100 hours of class we just scratched the surface of modelling.)

Last edited:
Agreed. Even million dollar CGI can't get it right. Winter breath annoys the hell out of me. Explosions and flames always look fake or just not right as far as focus, movement, etc. Ships, craft, etc. can look ridiculous. This is with millions. Would think a combo of tricking the eye with cuts and practical shooting/locations would be much more slick/pro when done right, i.e. art direction/cinematography/editing.

Back