• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Bourne Style fight scene

I was taught that if I've nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all...
It's possible you've identified the difference between two similar words criticism and critique, often interchanged incorrectly.

http://scribesalley.blogspot.com/2008/08/difference-between-critique-and.html
Criticism finds fault
Critique looks at structure

Criticism looks for what's lacking
Critique finds what's working

Criticism condemns what it doesn't understand
Critique asks for clarification

Criticism is spoken with a cruel wit and sarcastic tongue
Critique's voice is kind, honest, and objective

Criticism is negative
Critique is positive (even about what isn't working)

Criticism is vague and general
Critique is concrete and specific

Criticism has no sense of humor
Critique insists on laughter, too

Criticism looks for flaws in the writer as well as the writing
Critique addresses only what is on the page

I hope to rarely see or provide criticisms and most often see or provide critiques. :)

Well, there was a LOT of good to be said about the scene, but the shakiness of the camera was inspiring my vertigo. Perhaps it's my own weakness then?
It's always tough to say to someone, "Pull that camera back, mount it on a tripod!" without coming across as a Spielberg fan-boy, pretend guru, arse hole. And I was kiding about the tripod.

It's always tough to say to someone, "Pull that camera back, mount it on a tripod!" without coming across as a Spielberg fan-boy, pretend guru, arse hole. And I was kiding about the tripod.
FWIW, I've been semi-scrutinizing many the DSLR projects on the "Shot by a Canon" thread and elsewhere and sincerely feel that trying to make DSLR look like film is just trying to make a wrench do a pliers sort of job.

Screw it.

Just shoot your DSLR footage in as a PROFESSIONAL documentary style as possible.
Go handheld. Use some sort of effective stabilization aid.
But most people ought to forget the tripods, sliders, tracks and jibs. They ain't working.
A nice documentary style is the way to go with many many indie films shot with a DSLR or other lightweight prosumer camcorder.

Doc-style films are so prevalent these days I can't keep up with the running list, especially for lo-budget (by HWood standards) films.
IMHO
And even some of the big budgets do it too. They just do it well with these contraptions:
http://easyrig.se/vario_statement_all.html

3_1333443160_Screen-shot-2012-03-29-at-20.25.08.png

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?tag=easy-rig

Last edited:
I liked the fight scenes. I especially liked that you broke stuff and threw each other around. It seemed more like a movie when stuff was breaking. It was funny at times too. I liked the throwing on to table and threw walls and slamming microwave on head and throwing microwave etc... All good stuff.

You could go and edit it down maybe a little more in the beginging where he enters the house and also when he leaves the house. Just get us to the good stuff as fast as possible. The first minute of this should be shortend down as much as possible so we can get to the good stuff as fast as possible. Way too slow of a intro. Even thae part after the one minute mark could possible edited down a little too to get into the action more make it flow real well. I like to listen to the audio and think how it should sound and then edit to match and aslo consider the visuals too. What would make it look more like a movie then edit to look movie like. Overall once the fighting starts your short gets a lot better.

Would have been nice if there was some kind of story to why the fighting was going. But I guess this is more for practice for the next short right. Next time I would like a simple arc or something to justify the violence and the fight. Who is the hero who is the bad guy what are the stakes stuff like that. Was this for revenge or not. Anyways, just would be nice to have a short story if you do another film like this.

Reminds me of pulp fiction for some reason maybe the fact the guy may be a hit man and is drinking and eating the guys left over food or something is the reason. Reminded me of Pulp fiction when they eat and drink the targets stuff. I would say this may be a revenge plot since it seems he is going after the guy because he did something the boss did not like. Maybe the guy betrayed them some how and the boss sent him out for revenge.

I think it would have been better if the guy got more blood on his face at the end and had troubles getting the guy off of him after the shot. Then is out of breath from all the fighting. Just seems he should be winded after all that fighting. I am not sure he should be smiling then too.

Last edited:
Just shoot your DSLR footage in as a PROFESSIONAL documentary style as possible.
Go handheld. Use some sort of effective stabilization aid.
But most people ought to forget the tripods, sliders, tracks and jibs. They ain't working.
A nice documentary style is the way to go with many many indie films shot with a DSLR or other lightweight prosumer camcorder.

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?tag=easy-rig

What is it you don't like about dslr footage shot from tripods, sliders etc?

Okay so it's not the camera itself it's the person behind it.
Exactly.
Some of you guys know what you're doing when shooting with DSLR on sticks and slides.
Most don't.

And then there's the genre mismatch where some thematic material is just inherently better looking docustyle while others are better with a polished finish.

The problem I see when people try to do handheld lightweight equipment is that the lightweighted-ness of the equipment allows them to go tooooo herky-jerky.
They end up with wiggly-jiggly nice images. Pfft. What's the point of using a DSLR or prosumer camcorder at that point?

Weight that hardware down some with a DIY Fig Rig-like set up.

But when they pop their set up on sticks and slides it looks too formal or worse, too static. Ugh.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got to a computer where I could watch your action scene.
The fight itself is choreographed well, the set up and finish a bit uninteresting, and the camerawork is waaay too unnecessarily herky-jerky, as already pointed out.

I just watched THE RAID: REDEMPTION, twice, and its DVD extras which I believe you would be able to find some good takeaways.

What they used was a 4/3 Panasonic AG-AF100 in a Fig Rig which you can make a DIY version, and variants, for way cheap.
Great for a lightweight camera setup to cut down on some of the herky-jerky.

This is Clip #1 of four. They're pretty close to the effect I think you might want to achieve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYsVqpiEa4
Almost ignore the action itself. Just pay attention to the corners of the frame. (retarded, I know, but... ) :)

Another point the director made, and I would subscribe to, is to NOT have the camera shot so tight in on the action that you can hardly tell what's happening.
Pull back out some and allow the viewer to better enjoy the movement and flow of the action.

Oh, cool!
Here're some BTS clips!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAvCEcjL48

Thanks for sharing that, gonna watch that movie soon now! That's pretty much the kinda look I like. not too shaky, but not stuck on a tripod either

Back