Books = Film?

So I'm writing a trilogy right now. I'm always nervous about revealing too may plot details online when my work isn't done. Paranoia?

I'll just say that the books bring together a few of our most 'ancient' and 'strong' cultures. Three heroes, each representing one of these cultures, must trek the plains of the past, and the skyline of the future in order to fulfill a prophecy that was spoken of since before the time of Moses; and also to ascertain the destiny, and bond, that they share with one another. They must work together to find a remedy for an alien-parasitic race that has ravished the earth for centuries, turning the thoughts and desires of mankind towards material things, and sometimes hedonistic ways. The parasite has become deep rooted in the world, sharing a single consciousness that is bent on killing the will of man, so that it becomes the dominant race...through the human race.

Our heroes, united by the common desire to save their people and their planet, must face many dangers on the road to their shared destiny---including demons, dragons, a certain famous giant crocodile, shape shifting ninjas, an army of nano tech soldiers & ruthless assassins.

So anyway, I basically just winged that summary.

I plan on developing a screenplay(s) for the trilogy after the books are, I'm confident they will make great movies, but my question is...Is there any demand for book/movies?

It seems like there is, because you see a lot coming out lately....Probably because of the story quality of the books; they are usually very original, unlike their movie counterparts that often massacre the paper superior.

Do these authors really sell out their stories like that? It's basically equivalent to pimping your baby to me.

John Carter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Percy jackson, the Lincoln Lawyer, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ....just to name a few.

Your story sounds like a lot of fun, and would make a fun movie/series of movies. As for a demand, sure there is. Always has been and likely always will be, both for fans of the stories (who like to see a different interpretation) or those who hadn't read the book.

As for why, everyone is different. Some people LIKE seeing their work reinterpreted and introduced to a new audience (Chuck Palahniuk thought the Fight Club film was better than the book he wrote). Some just want to cash in. Also, sometimes the authors are long gone and their estate approves (or doesn't) the film (in your examples, Tolkien, Stieg Larsson and Edgar Rice Burroughs have all passed away before the films were made)

Also, the only Pirates movie that could be considered "based on a book" was "On Stranger Tides", which wasn't really. It was similar to a book with that title, so the producers bought the rights. It is VERY different from Tim Powers' book.

Long story still kinda long, if you WANT to make movies for your books, you absolutely can. If you don't, you don't need to sell the rights. They're your books, and that's why we have copyright laws!

I bought a book license, and the author was happy to sell it to me and work with me. Some books make excellent movies. What you have to look for is a book that tells it's story at a strong pace, and does not focus to heavily on the value of nuance. In example, James Bond books make great films, because they are written in a fast, punchy writing style that lends itself well to re-scripting. Stranger in a Strange land would be a much tougher translation, due to the more cerebral nature of its story.

As somebody developing scripts under constant industry direction and advice, I can say with certainty that any movie greatly increases its likelihood of getting made if it first exists in another medium.

Firstly, you increase your market because you gain additional audience through the various platforms through which you distribute your work. Multiple markets encourages consumers to buy the same story in various versions, and a version in one medium automatically promotes the versions that exist other media.

Secondly, it's much easier to sell an idea based on existing property because a final product already exists in digestible form. You can show a producer a finished book or comic or video game, and they can more easily visualize what a movie version will look like. It's better than only having a screenplay.

Thirdly, if your book is successful, it's much easier to sell the movie rights (and vice versa).

All of these factors are even more true in certain genres, such as children's stories or animation; this is an area in which producers are especially keen to develop stories across multiple media.

The reason for all of these factors boil down to reduction of investment risk via production of properties that are either already proven in the marketplace, or which can be more widely marketed though various media, which spreads risk and leverages a wider brand; this can also eventually lead to such bonus income streams as merchandising. ("Harry Potter" is an industry; not just books and movies, but video games, toys, merch, a theme park, etc.)

In short, capitalism says "do it"!

Back