Bloated Hollywood Crap...

mr-modern-life said:
Why Expalin? Why is not reading the original screen play for a film that exhibited no engagement and min talent sad?

Why is it sad to judge as "crap" a screenplay you've never read? Does that really require explanation?

What makes it "very" sad is that you make films and really should know better what happens between script and screen and how more often than not the writer's words bear little or no resemblence to what ends up in theatres.

Again I'm lost. I don't care what was written before. I care what is up on screen. I don't wtach a film, go away, read the screenplay and then form my opinion. Screenplays don't always change that much.

As for writers being so hard done by. Thats not always the case. And more often than not it isn't the case. Making sweaping statements like that makes no sense.

I ahve worked with writers for years and never had this the case.

What Beeble is saying is you can call the movie crap because you've seen it, but don't call the script crap cause you haven't read it. He's also saying that in this case, with the factors involved (Bay as Director, McGregor and Johansson as Stars), there is a good chance that a lot was changed on set from the original script.

I think somes it up - sometimes SHIT starts out as Steak, other times SHIT starts out as Stawberyy Short Cake. The Steak or Short Cake wasn't shit, but the SHIT was.

I also like Beeble's thought that no filmmaker ever sets out to make a bad movie. Every production starts out with the principles thinking that this will be a good flick, but something goes bad in the execution. That's an idea we seem to think less about as indie filmmakers.

Poke

Two points : Whatever changes were made to the script the story and plot remain the same for the most part. Both were shite on the Isalnd.

As for no one makiing a bad film on purpose... UWE BOLL. He must do. No one can be that shite!

mr-modern-life said:
Again I'm lost. I don't care what was written before. I care what is up on screen. I don't wtach a film, go away, read the screenplay and then form my opinion.

You're talking about the screenplays being crap from the beginning. And you simply can't know that without reading the scripts and following the process to the end.

But at least you admit that your opinion isn't an informed one.

As for writers being so hard done by. Thats not always the case. And more often than not it isn't the case.

How would you know? You never read the scripts.

Making sweaping statements like that makes no sense.

That's hilarious coming from the guy who said this: "And for me this is where 99% of all Hollywood and indie films fall down." You've made nothing but broad and inaccurate sweeping statements from the get-go.

I ahve worked with writers for years and never had this the case.

We're talking about HOLLYWOOD movies here and how they're made from script to screen. Maybe the UK is different, but that's not what you're ranting about.

Last edited:
Okay again to qualify. I dont read scripts of ever film I ever wqatch. But films like the Island have inherant issues from teh start with bad plot, dialgue and story.

As for indie. I get sent 10 scripts AT LEAST a week. Most a rubbish. The occasional one (1 in 20 ) is readable. Even less frequantly I get a gem. Maybe 1 in 30. I take time to read them out of respect but I see some crap as well.

I think that makes it a somewhat informed opinion. Sorry if I touched a nerve!

mr-modern-life said:
Okay again to qualify. I dont read scripts of ever film I ever wqatch. But films like the Island have inherant issues from teh start with bad plot, dialgue and story.

Again, without having read the script, particularly for a movie like this one, you have no idea what the plot of the script was. Can they change that much? Absolutely. I've been involved with Hollywood projects that were virtually unrecognizable by the time they were done. Others more closely followed the script, but that was rare.

As for indie. I get sent 10 scripts AT LEAST a week. Most a rubbish. The occasional one (1 in 20 ) is readable. Even less frequantly I get a gem. Maybe 1 in 30. I take time to read them out of respect but I see some crap as well.

I think that makes it a somewhat informed opinion.

Again, unless you're reading the scripts that Hollywood gets, that Hollywood greenlights, and that Hollywood produces, and comparing the finished product, your experience in this specific case doesn't really inform you of very much.

mr-modern-life said:
Sorry if I touched a nerve!

It's not like it's a huge deal, and I'm not usually one to go around defending Hollywood writers. I just think in this case it's not a particularly fair or accurate observation based on my experience in Hollywood.

mr-modern-life said:
Ha! I did ask for my money back after Alexander. From the cinema AND the studio... never heard anything back!
What you pay for is to see it, not like it. If they did offer money-back guarantees, I imagine they'd be taken advantage of.

I like horror movies with zombies. I'm 30. I think what makes a good movie is completely subjective. But besides that, did anyone see "A History of Violence?" That was a great movie. "Batman Begins" of course was excellent. I really liked "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." In a given year, how many truly great movies can you expect?

Great ? maybe one or two. Good ? Maybe 3 or 4? Avereage ? 10+

The issue here is also my cinema which hasn't shown films I want to see. Transporter 2, Unleashed, History Of Violence, Saw 2... no I get Herbie on 3 screens. Probably why I'm so down at the mo... missed most of teh good films!

Back