• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Blackmagic Pocket Camera Jib Test

Jibs are fun.

They are probably fun, but in my opinion they are 99% of the time pointless.

There isn't really any instance I can think of where a Jib movement is essential for the story/character. Well it is so subjective to the story itself that is impossible to generalize though :D

Mayb if you have a long one you can have character leaving a house and go up with the camera and show other character looking at the her from the window.:rolleyes:

There isn't really any instance I can think of where a Jib movement is essential for the story/character. Well it is so subjective to the story itself that is impossible to generalize though :D

Mayb if you have a long one you can have character leaving a house and go up with the camera and show other character looking at the her from the window.:rolleyes:

Wrong.

Hey Nikola, why do you say that ?

I was speaking from a directorial point of view :P

I agree with him, jibs definitely have a purpose..
Being able to raise and lower the camera can be more effective than a tilt.

Next are you going to say that tilts are useless too? and pans?

Hey Nikola, why do you say that ?

I was speaking from a directorial point of view :P

There are just so many jibs shots you can use for psychological level that it is insane. I completely disagree with you.

Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit is a great example for great use of jib shots in my opinion.

mmmm ok I understand what you say, but if you stage it right than for me there isn't anything that a Tripod can't do. The movement of a JIB makes an image too INFLECTED for me, and takes away some of the fun. It pushes the audience to think of something specific, and that isn't what I look for in films. At least for me guys !!!

I love one particular crane shot in Lawrence of Arabia,where the reveal of the rushing troops is emphasized by the change of the perspective. But there are def a lot more cool shots in various films.

One problem with jibs or any other fancy equipment is if a person rents or owns it he has too much incentive to use it all the time,meaning that it will be overused. But it is nothing more than another tool in an arsenal,it is all about how and when you use it

It's called adding production value.

Back